RAM issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BouncingSoul, Jan 24, 2007.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Sioux Falls, SD
    I've had enough bizarre system crashes in my day to know when I have bad RAM. But I've never seen a stick die completely and the system keep functioning. That appears to be my situation right now. I have 1 gig (two 512 sticks) installed but system properties only shows 512 total system memory. I guess what I'm wondering is if I should just order more ram or do I need to thoroughly examine my system and see if there might be a problem with the ram slot or maybe the whole motherboard. I keep delaying my plan to build a new system but if this is more than just a bad stick I'm going to have to get on it.

Opened the case and checked for loose connections. Everything seemed fine, rebooted and it's showing a full gig again. I have no idea what (if anything) that means.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX

A memory stick was loose in the socket and you reseated it when poking around.

There is a bad trace/RAM socket on the MB and pushing and pulling made it reconnect for now.

There was oxide build up on the socket/ram stick pins and moving it broke the oxide.

I'd vote for #1. Either leave it alone and hope it keeps working until upgrade day arrives or if you're feeling lucky pull both sticks and reinsert them. To make sure they have a good connection.

Next time it dies run CPUz and see which stick is not reproting. It will help in trouble shooting.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007