RAM Ideas

Alex_is_Axel

.:: FTPAlex ::.
Hello, i am currently wanting to get new RAM for my computer considering its pretty sluggish with only 128MB of RIMM RAM (PC800). I am just wondering if i am able to buy any other kinds of RAM for my Pentium 4 1.3Ghz because RIMM RAM is pretty expensive :(

Here is my Memory Controller:....

< System Memory Controller >
Error Correction Capability: None
Number of Memory Slots: 4
Maximum Installable Memory: 2GB
Bank 0 - RIMM-1: RIMM RAMBUS RDRAM 64MB/16 @ 400MHz
Bank 1 - RIMM-2: Empty
Bank 0 - RIMM-3: RIMM RAMBUS RDRAM 64MB/16 @ 400MHz
Bank 1 - RIMM-4: Empty

< System Chipset >
Model: Intel Corporation 82850 (850) Processor to I/O
Controller (MCH)
Bus(es): X-Bus AGP PCI USB SMBus/i2c
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 100MHz (400MHz data rate)
ACPI PM Support: Yes

< Logical/Chipset Memory Banks >
Bank 0 Setting: 128MB RDRAM 9-1-1-1R 7-1-1-1W 8/9CL
Independent Memory Channels: 2
Memory Bus Speed: 400MHz

< Memory Modules >
Memory Module 5: Samsung MR16R 0824BN1-CK8 282ED508 64MB/4 (128Mx16)
RDRAM RIMM PC800 (CL2-2 upto 411MHz)
Memory Module 7: Samsung MR16R 0824BN1-CK8 283CD508 64MB/4 (128Mx16)
RDRAM RIMM PC800 (CL2-2 upto 411MHz)
Memory Bus Speed: 400MHz

(These Specs were taken on SisSandra)

Please can anyone help? Do i really have to buy more RIMM RAM only? If so, where is the cheapest place i can buy them from.. ie, website address

Thank you for your help

Sincerly
Alex :(

P.S If you need anymore infomation to help me, please let me know, i can post more for you:D

nope. you're stuck with pc800 rambus rimms. unless you get a new motherboard.

Can i get a PC800 at any speed then? Ive found a cheaper version of the RIMM RAM which i can aford for xmas. So can i use any speed PC800 or do i have to have 400mhz RIMM's? Thanx for your help

Sincerly Alex

Can my motherboard suport 800mhz PC800 RIMM RAM? Or am i only able to get 400Mhz PC800? :(

they're the exact same thing. 800mhz ram for a 400mhz system bus. there's only pc800 and pc1066 rambus and no other types. you don't want pc1066 cuz your board won't fully support it and it's more expensive.

Thank you for your help Taurus... I always new my motherboard was pants! ill get this new PC800 RAM at xmas then... I know my Motherboard can suport 2GB of RAM... but i havent got a clue how that works for people who dont have the right amount of rich money flow. Thanx once again

Sincerly
Alex

Oh something i forgot to ask you... Ive seen on websites where you can buy RAM my PC800 but it has ECC on it and others which has non-ECC on it. What does this ECC and Non-ECC mean? Which would you prefer me to get out of these:

» 512Mb RIMM Upgrade Kit, Samsung
(2x 256Mb modules), 184pins, PC800, 40ns, non-ECC
Manufacturer: Samsung, Warranty: Lifetime

» 512Mb ECC Rambus RIMM Samsung
184pins, PC800, 45ns, 18-bit, ECC Error Correction
MR18R162GAF0-CK8, Manufacturer: Samsung

» 512Mb Rambus RIMM Samsung
184pins, PC800, 45ns, 16-bit, MR16R162GAF0-CK8
Manufacturer: Samsung,

» 512Mb ECC RIMM Upgrade Kit, Samsung
(2x 256Mb modules), 184pins, PC800, 40ns, 18 bit, ECC
Manufacturer: Samsung, Warranty: Lifetime

All i know is that i need 512MB of RAM, the rest of it confuses me. Thank you for your time

Sincerly Alex

i'm not an expert on pentium 4's and rambus memeory, but it looks like the first option you listed would be best for you; two 256mb sticks of non-ecc pc800 rambus memory.

ecc i think stands for "error correction code" or something similar. it is used for hard-working servers with lots of memory. 95% of computers out there do not use ecc memory. it's more expensive and not quite as fast as non-ecc.

Thank you for your help Taurus... Your Da Man :)...
I like the sound of your RAM by the way.. 786MB RAM very nice :)
You seem to have most of the top of the range stuff.. Audigy and Geforce 4... i just bought an Audigy Player.. works great with my speakers..

thank you once again for all your help, i wouldnt of been able to of dun it without u

hey, no problem. glad i could help.

and compared to some of these other people, i certainly don't have top of the range stuff. i got the gf4 just a couple weeks ago and had a gf2 for 2 years prior. i only had 256mb of memory up until a month or so ago, too. it's old sdram, anyway.

i just upgrade once the prices fall enough. }:>

Before you buy more RDRAM you should consider buying a new motherboard that will support DDR RAM. You can get an ASUS P4PE and 512 Meg PC2700 DDR Ram for around $260. There are also other good motherboards that support DDR for P4s that are cheaper than the ASUS. This would be a much better long term solution rather than having to buy two more PC800 modules.

:) Well ive decided to go with JW50's Idea after all your help Taurus (Sorry Dude.. You Still Da Man :) ). Ive decided to get a new motherboard which can help me with other things aswell as cheaper RAM. I have decided to get an Asus Motherboard to support my P4 1.3Ghz and i have decided to get 512 DDR RAM because by the sounds of it, sounds pretty fast RAM :).. i like the sound of Double Data Rate.. hehe lol. :). Plus its not as expencive as RIMM RAM. I personally dont even agree RIMM RAM was Fast, my comp has been running extremely slow loading programs for ages! But anyways, this motherboard helps me with my USB problem too.. i will now have 6 USB ports rather than 2 USB ports. I know you all dont wanna know this but i thought it might be nice to let you know :D

I still have a Geforce 2 MX 400 Taurus.. which i am thinking about upgrading next to a Geforce FX Ultra... which also helps with this motherboard.. lol (8x AGP Slot). :). But that wont be for a Long Long time :).. I need to save up again.. lol.

Your Welcome to carry on this Forum if anyone would like to chat in general rather than asking for help. Or maybe i could return the favour if i could.

Question to help carry on the forum though... is DDR RAM the best RAM out now adays or is it the annoying RIMM Rams?

Thank you everyone once again :):):)

Sincerly Alex

your pc800 memory is fast... but when you only have 128mb of it, windows has it maxed out so you're basically using your harddrive for extra ram... which will severely slow down loading performance. if i were to build any computer with winxp, i'd say 256mb is the minimum i'd give it. simply more memory woulda done the trick for you, i'm sure.

buying a new board and memory is a somewhat more expensive investment... but probably a good one. as long as you get a board with a new chipset so you have more upgrade possibilities later on... like the new hyper-threading p4's.

along with a cpu upgrade, i'd also strongly recommend a video card upgrade, if you consider yourself an avid gamer... even if just until the gf fx comes out. the sdram on those gf2 mx's is just poor. but it depends on your priorities, man. }:>

btw, don't get yourself hyped wth agp 8x. it doesn't offer any performance yet and i don't even think the geforce fx will use more bandwidth than agp 4x uses. for example, with my setup, if i switch to agp 2x, i only lose about 100 3dmarks! not noticeable at all.

to answer your question, rambus (rimm) has the fastest theoretical bandwidth of all memory types:

pc800 rambus = 3.2gb/sec of bandwidth
pc1066 rambus = 4.2gb/sec
pc2700 ddr = 2.7gb/sec
pc3200 ddr = 3.2gb/sec
my pc133 sdr = 1gb/sec }:>

but rambus is being phased out... ddr out-sold rambus and just has a better future. plus with the new nforce2 boards, you can have dual-channel ddr which is pc2700x2... so 5.3gb/sec. but it's only for amd processors, sorry man. }:>

ive been looking around at a local Computer store where i live and i have had a second decision. I have decided to get just the plain old 133 SD RAM.. It still does its job and i am hoping to get 1GB worth of it.. 1024MB to be procise :)... Im still looking for a good enough Motherboard which isnt so expencive. Like ive said, ive already gotta Processor (my 1.3Ghz).. its not exactly the best ones out now adays but it would do for a couple of extra months.

What i really really need is a motherboard which suports P4 1.3Ghz+ (obviously) with 4 USB ports (is that possible?) and has either just SD RAM slots or SD RAM and DDR RAM Slots too. Can anyone help me find a website which has a spec like that? I dont need an onboard soundcard because i have an Audigy Player so that doesnt really matter. Please let me know a website which has the specs i need for a motherboard and could u also give a price in £ (GBP). Thank you for your time again.. i know im a pain :(

Sincerly Alex:)

Alex_is_Axel I probably have the same motherboard that you (Intel D850GB).. But i have 640Mb of ram (2x64 + 2x256).. That Asus motherboard you've bought seems interesting... Could you tell me the model?

i havent bought any yet.. ive just been looking around for a decent motherboard these few days. the one i saw had 3 DDR RAM slots with a onboard LAN card and 6 USB Ports. It said it suported 3.06ghz+ but i dunno if it means it suports any less.. Thats why im lookin for a motherboard with all my specs i said earlier.. i dunno if i need anymore than 4 USB ports.. Have you seen any good Motherboards that i might be interested in?

Sincerly Alex

P.S Do you have RIMM RAM LiquidMorph? My RIMM pretty much sucks alot now adays.. but its too expencive to upgrade :(

Well first thing I would suggest is stay away from plain SDram as you will create a major bottleneck between the cpu and the ram with it. Also you will lose performance if you use plain SDram with a Pentium 4. Also most of the sites I vist deal in USD and I don't know the exchange rate but I'll give you a like to look at too see if you can find a chipset you like then find a board with that chipset.

Check out the chipsets

thank you for your help Chastity. I like the look of that D845PEBT2 Board. Thank you also about the RAM. I will stick to my first desicion which was to get 512 DDR RAM... Do you have any recommendations to Motherboards Chastity? I need 4 USBs and 1 AGP slot with afew PCI Slots. Also supports DDR RAM too and a P4 1.3 Ghz. Thank you for your time

Sincerly Alex

Alex, is your P4 1.3GHz a 423 pin processor or a 478 pin processor? If you dont know then look up your current motherboard and see if it is a Socket 423 or a Socket 478 motherboard. Almost all of the latest motherboards are Socket 478 but I'm pretty sure that there are some motherboards around that will meet your requirements even if you have a 423 pin processor.

Whered This imaginary Audigy player come from al? lol

cya
2morro

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back