Raid setup into existing computer...

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Can I setup RAID0+1 with 3x60gigs into a computer that already has an OS and an separate HD, Or do I have to startover? The OS is the only thing on this HD so far.

Thanks in advance........

Heeter

RAID 0+1 requeris a min of 4 HDD all of same spec, so if the one your OS is currentley on is the same spec exactley as your other 60GB disks then u can do it, but not keeping the current files on it. If the HDD with your OS on is diffrent to your 60gig disks, then u cant set up a RAID 0+1. U could stripe all 3 other drives (RAID-0) and add em to your current set-up, giving u one virtual drive at around 180GB and that would give some good performmance. then within the OS u could partition that into whatever u like. I have never had experiance settin up IDE RAID, only SCSI (HP + IBM) but it should b pretty much the smae.

Thanks for the reply, Dissx

So if I going to use a 20gig separate HD, then I can use the 3x60gig for RAID0+1 or just RAID0? I know I need an even amount of HD's for RAID1.

Thanks again.

Heeter

yeah u need an even amount for 0+1 too, cos 1 is the mirrored and 0 is striped so whenever u r mirroring u r gonna need even amounts. i wouldnt see the point in mirroring the drives anyhow mate, not for a home users, keey ya OS on the 20 gig if thats what its on, and stripe (RAID-0) all the other 80 gigs, that would b some nice performance, also id shift the OS to ya RAID drives after, that would b fast in a RAID 0 setup.

It is just that I got some killer amount of files and documents, I would be somewhat dissappointed (somewhat would not be the word) If a HDD were to fail. I am willing to sacrifice speed for security on this tower, this tower is just a files holder tower in my network. My main performance computer is located somewhere else on network. Is RAID0 good for file security?

Heeter

No, RAID-0 has no redundency what so ever, if one drive goes down, the whole array would go and all data on it (well 1/3) would b lost. So from what i seen, u wanna mirror (RAID-1) 2 drives, u cant mirror 3 drives cos like u said u need an even number, so u could mirroc 2 of the drives, and use the other as a on line spare (as i said i aint too fimalir with IDE but with SCSI this can be done) then if one of the drives went down, the online spare would kick in right away and start reconstructing the array. This would give u only 60GIG out of a possible 180GB but is the best for data protection like u say is vital. i just dont know if u hav the abality to make your spare hard drive as an online spare.

Thanks for sticking with me, Dissx

Since I got about 47 gigs of files, folders and documents right now, I think that picking up another 60 gigger for 4x60 giggers Raid1 setup will be the order of the day today. That 20 gigger that the OS sitting in will be hooked up to the Mobo IDE1 connector. Everything is gonna be a fresh install once I get the 4th drive later today. Should I install the OS first, then install the RAID card after and let windows XP detect, or should I go install all the setup then install the Windows XP using the F6 option at the beginning? I am open to it either way. I have never done a RAID card installation before, so I guess my question is this, which way is easier? I go both ways.....Only for computers, nothing else...LOL

Heeter

no problem mate.
So u got 3 HDD right now, u could depending on your RAID card set them 3 drives up as a RAID 3 or RAID 5, this is where equlivent of one disks storage is used as parity information for the data, on RAID 3 the parity information is stored on one drive, on RAID 5 the parity is spread evenily across the 3 drves. But in each of these cases u would be getting about 120GB out of the 3 60GB drives. If u buy another 60GB u could still use 4 drives in a RAID 3 or 5 array, but this dosnt as much fault tolarance as your orignal 0+1 array that u could make out of the 4 60GB Disks. I would install the OS as normal on the 20GB , u dont have to worry about the F6 option while settings up windows, thats only if its too be installed on one of the RAID drives, and sence its going on the 20Gig, u dont hav to worry about that. Once windows is installed and u got your hard drives connected up, start the computer, there should be from my experience with scsi an ROM based set-up that will allow u too create your choosen array, weather thats a 0+1 or RAID 5, take a look at http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html that will discuss the pros and cons of the 0+1 set-up Vs the RAID 5 set-up that will both be available for u too choose from.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back