RADEON 9700 now the best

I think the ATI is gonna be a winner for along time. Why, cos nvidia keep pumping out new cards, but too many in my opinion (MX,TI4200,TI4400 etc..etc), I agree there is a market for those cards.,., but they ALL still have the same problems as the original Geforce, i.e. CR*P 2D rendering. All the current ATI cards beat the pants off ANY geforce as far as quality of image is concerned. Now with the 9700 I think ATI have finally got the makings of a perfect card. Im sure nvidia will try to beat it, but honestly guys (at least you geforce fans) are you really gonna upgrade your card every 6 months in line with nvidia's release schdule, nvidia are flooding the market with cards at the moment, 1 thing I guess they make there moneys worth...forcing people to upgrade.

But the average user spends there life savings getting the latest card.. only to find a card that supercedes it a few months later?... wheres the sense in that?

My next card will be a 9700...assuming I win the lottery of course! lol :D

every review I have read about the radeon 8500 line is on the fact that it competes with the gforce 3 which it was PLANNED to compete against...

I am sure that the pr department of ATi has enough people in it that they would not make a dumb statement like yes this is a g4 killer... the stats don't match up...

also please do remember that the 4200 came out as a direct result of the ati pricing...

on the whole the statements about the 8500 compared to the g4 line are DUMB in this thread because the whole point was on the 9700 being the best at the moment (when it ships in a week or two) and NOT anything to do with POTENTIAL this and that...

please remember this...

the NV30 is still being built and produced... the R300 based 9700 is here already/has been tested and has been proven to work...

Never..ever admit to being confused..thats the golden rule!! lol :D

In times of confusion always say the classic line "Ahh..I will have to research that.." lol :D

correctemundo mate... never admit to confusion...

either say what stuy_b recommends or site temporary memory loss... say you knew this WAY BACK WHEN... and then wait for someone else to post something for a clue... :)

rite...i wanna buy a new vidcard...but i don't have the money for something like a Ti4600...cause if you recalculate, is about 500+ dollars here...in holland..so...i don't have that kind of money

Go with Radeon. Any computer that depends on precise graphics (as in various scientific applications) utilize the superior graphics that the Radeon delivers. Now, the Geforce 4600 is "fastest for the moment, but, if you want speed and superior graphics go with the Radeon 8500 or wait a bit for the Radeon 9700.

Hmm...i see an ad on a dutch site, 2nd hand Geforce 4 MX 440, 64 MB DDR, cables drivers and box from Abit....125 Euro's...like 125 dollar...something like that..

Huh, in America you can get a brand new 440 for $89.00. Maybe someone you know in America can mail you a new card.:)

Originally posted by catch23
FACT: The GeForce 4 was released WELL over 7 months ago...
...The GeForce 4 and the Radeon 9700 ARE NOT on the same level...OF COURSE the Radeon 9700 is going to outperform and even double the performance of a GeForce4...THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S A NEXT GENERATION CARD.

Look at it this way...The Radeon 8500 and GeForce 4s are out...LINE IS DRAWN...EVERYTHING is now in the past...Now the Radeon 9700 is out...ATi released their next gen card before NVidia...they are now ahead....however....(this is in my opinion)...Since DirectX 9 is still in beta...releasing the 9700 now could turn out to be the biggest mistake they've ever made...if a change is made to DirectX 9 (and come on, this is MS..heh)...then it could severely effect the way the 9700 Works..

NVidia has it's NV30 (possibly GeForce5) scheduled around DirectX9...making sure that it doesn't get screwed.

The NV30 still won't be out for several months...newer technology usually wins...so by ALL means, it SHOULD outperform the Radeon 9700...or it's a joke...

I don't get it here. The Radeon 9700 is up to twice as fast as the GF4 WITHOUT taking advantage of the instructions in DirectX 9 though DirectX 9 isn't released yet. Does this make the architecture in Radeon 9700 superior? If so, why sould it be compared with a card that have a totally different architecture and manufacturing process (0.13 micron)?

oh mate... the radeon 8500 was released and was geared to take market share away from the g3 series since ati did NOT have anything to compete with that segment of the market...

look at everything about the card...it was around same memory bandwidth... competed in similar price range and all... and untill a few months ago had similar performance... now it is a little faster due in part to better drivers...

the 8500 series is designed to compete v/s the g3..

considering the ti4200 coz people ARE going to mention it... it would not have been released had the 8500LE not been released... and thats a marketing fact...

The Radeon 10000 will compete with the NV30. The Radeon 8500 was released to compete with the GeForce 3's not the GeForce 4's. The Radeon 9700 was released to compete with the 4200 4400 and 4600 GeForces.

Snookie out!:)

I am not going to get into the name calling and the oh I am so clever I can lay a turd the size of a football field crap that you are getting into catch23...

please present FACTS before you start flaming... thank you

http://www.guru3d.com/review/ati/radeon8500/

http://accelenation.com/?doc=134&page=1

http://www.reviewmakers.com/showdoc.php?review=41

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q3/010814/index.html

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1024

also read this... you might be surprised to know how DAFT your statements about the 8500 released a gazillion billion years after the g3 therefore DEFINITELY a g4 competitor are mate...

Our tests will compare the 8500 to a first-generation GeForce 3 (the Nvidia card that was released at around the same time as the Radeon 8500), as well as a GeForce 4 Ti4400, and a GeForce 4 Ti4600.

after reading all that stuff and seeing that the radeon 8500 was released in direct competition to the g3 ti500... if you STILL believe you are right and all the other people in the world are wrong... well you probably live in your own little world...

of course what can we know... we are

NOTE...

please understand this was meant to be a thread for stating the stats of the radeon 9700 and I am a little bothered by the direction this thread is going...

I don't give two hoots about the nv30 or the radeon 10000 coming out...

please read the initial post before continually going off the deepend...

thanks...

Do I need to close this or will you guys calm down a bit? Givin' you a chance here.

just close it... I am fed up of being called an idiot even when I am presenting the facts...

not a very nice place to be in...

this was basically meant to be an informative thread... but eh who cares now wot?

:rolleyes:

Hmmmm.. All I have to say is " I have a radeon 8500 64 meg " and it rocks.....

Works great in Tribes 2 , Quake 3 , and Warcraft 3.

Its alot better then my old video card..... (voodoo3 3000)
:rolleyes:

Anyway....... carry on !!!!!

CATCH23 really loves comparing an apple to an orange. Is he normal? 9700 is built on the 0.15um process while NV30 is built on the 0.13um process and obviously NV30 would be faster. If 9700 would then be built on the 0.13um process then thats the time that both could be reliably compared.

eh... well no...

catch23 is right in the respect that the features listed for the nv30 are greater than the features that are listed for the r300

however a lot of it is marketing to an extent... have to remember both use different algorithms to produce the same kind of effects...

all in all the nv30 looks good on paper... however this thread is not meant to compare the 2...

the link that I posted from anandtech is basically a comparison... taking the g4 ti4600 as stock since it is the top performer on the market TODAY and the comparisons show what we can expect from the r300 when it is released...

the r250 itself is a little weak I think... perhaps needs a little more memory clock speed or something... has great features but it is currently outperformed by the 8500 in most tests...

its marketed against the g4mx series... was hoping the 9000 pro would be marketed with higher specs than the 8500... since it was not I went ahead and got an 8500... :)

the difference in performance between the 0.13 and 0.15 micron process is not just about speed... you can obviously do more with the 0.13 than the 0.15 and thats what everyone is waiting for... the first gen of vid cards from nvidia and ati on that platform...

there have been difficulties on the side of both companies in coming to terms with the new process...

the 9700 will be a bit like the ti4400 in market positioning in terms of what ati does by the end of the year...

10000 will be the big dog but specs remain hazy on that... only the 9700 has been tested/reviewed/passed ok for production so far... and thats what I want to see... actual benchmarks with actual scores... from the retail version...

should be out in a few weeks I am sure...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back