Radeon 9600 vs 9800

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Hi guys ..

I am currently using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128MB AGP card. I am planning to upgrade it a little without bursting my budget as most games that I would like to play is not able to play on it anymore.

Found 2 options, 1st is the ATi Radeon 9600XT with 128MB 8X AGP and 2nd is ATi Radeon 9800XL also with 128MB on board. Price is not much different but which should I choose?

Would it make a lot of difference comparing my 5200 with ATi's 9600 and 9800? Also I think the mainboard is an Asus PV533-MX board, so not sure if the graphic card can be used on the mainboard since it is 8x AGP?

Appreciate any feedback if possible. Thank you.

Make sure you mean 9800 XL not 9800 XT. The 9800 XL was in very limited production and is a clocked down version of the 9800 PRO which was a decent card (now discontinued).

If you are looking for a new card the 6600GT would be your best choice. The most speed for the money and still in production.

If you are looking at used cards the performance would be:
-Best 9800 XT
-Next 9600 XT (probably, there are no benchmarks on the 9800 XL)
-Last 9800 XL

Unless you plan on running at very high AA/AI settings or 1280 resolution the 6600GT is better, especial in OpenGL games.

The 9800XL or 9600XT would be a massive improvement over what you are using now. If you are buying used the 9800 PRO was a fine card and faster.

I ran a 9800 PRO for 18 months. It was just too wimpy for Battlefield 2 so I upgraded to the X800XL which has been a total disaster. A gaming buddy is running a 6600GT at medium levels in BF2 with no problems.

ok .. thanks pal for the review. but will my motherboard support the card cause its just a 4x AGP port while the card is 8x??

Found another card .. 9600 Pro. Comparing the 9600 Pro with the 9600 XT, which would you recommend? :)

The 9600 XT is about 15-20% faster. Depends on the price you find.

I would not say the diff between the 9600 pro and xt is all that much , you will see a big difference from the 9600 line to the 9800 line but in todays world I would be thinking about waiting a little saveing cash getting a now gen card not something from 3 years ago.

As already mentioned it wouldn't be a good idea to purchase one of these cards, if you want to play games, on newegg i see the 9600 for around 70 dollars and the 6600 for just over 100....the 6600 gt would be a good budget option or even the new 7300

LeeJend said:
I ran a 9800 PRO for 18 months. It was just too wimpy for Battlefield 2 so I upgraded to the X800XL which has been a total disaster. A gaming buddy is running a 6600GT at medium levels in BF2 with no problems.

My 9600XT 128 eats up BF2 no problem - at medium levels. Then again I've tweaked the **** out of the OS.

;)

Nice review Leejend.

Thank you all .. the thing is I'm just upgrading my younger brother's PC, and he doesn't need something of the latest. Just something decent, sufficient to play some of the latest games without any problems .. thats ok. No serious mean machines here .. Hahahah :)

Mastershakes said:
My 9600XT 128 eats up BF2 no problem - at medium levels. Then again I've tweaked the **** out of the OS.

Yeah, I have a gaming buddy who's son is running BF2 ok on the 9600XT in medium. But High in BF2 makes my eyes water with joy. :)

Personally I'd go 6600GT. Especially for the improved OpenGL performance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back