Radeon 8500 Driver Problems

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Seekely, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Seekely

Seekely Guest

I just built a new computer with an AMD 2000 XP with a Radeon 8500 and Windows XP. I am having all kinds of problems find stable drivers, as every one I have tried so far off of ATI website (the latest release, the release before that, and the ones provided to me on the cd) don't seem to function correctly. Warcraft III loads with graphics unseeable and 3dmarks 2001 crashes on the second test.... any advice please?!?!?!??

2. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Please give us some more details about your entire system ( especially motherboard ) .

3. Seekely

Seekely Guest

Sorry,
    AMD Athlon 2000 XP
    Gigabyte GA-7DXR
    Radeon 8500 64MB
    512 MB 2100 DDR
    80 GB IBM 7200
    20 GB Maxtor 5400
    Lite ON Cd-RW

4. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

I'm talking now from personal experience :
    Solutions :
    1) Update BIOS ( first for motherboard , if not works for vidcard too )
    2) Test that card or another system
    3) BIOS settings : AGP4X !

5. Seekely

Seekely Guest

already latest bios :-(
    don't have another system i can test on :-(
    agp set to 4x :-( :-( :-(
    any other suggestions?

6. Seekely

Seekely Guest

somebody please help...are there any other drivers than the ones ATI releases?!? or any past drivers that have been really stable?!? it is very frustrating to spend 850 on a computer and have it crash as soon as a 3d application opens up :-( *bump*

7. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

yea , that's what I wanted to say also but Seekely , I'm sure you'll find a decent driver . I've heard that the latest drivers from Ati are changing the history ..

8. Seekely

Seekely Guest

oh well, thanks for your guys help...i guess i'll just install and try drivers until a set finally work (already up to about 6). How frustrating!

9. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

keep us with news ;)

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

see if there are any patches for the warcraft game...

ati don't or did not actually release as many drivers as nvidia... and as such their support for certain games/aps ws not quite upto scratch all the time...

however it may not be the card that is causing the prob..

I have issues loading certain programs... the wcpuid ap crashes my rig... but its not coz of my vid card..

all I can say is dl the lastest everything... try out different settings and try dling the patches for your progs...

g.luck

11. DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

wow that sounds pretty screwed..... hhhhmmmm...... i think u should start from scratch again, for sure, u need the most updated BIOS for your motherboard, that was the cause of my system freezes after installing a GF3 ti500, start with windows xp, it should isntall it's own windows drivers that will support the right resolutions, colour bits, and refresh rate, but not OpenGL, then.... erm..... the drivers, i would think u'd get them strait from ATI.com, and then things should be fine

i know it sounds kinda simple, but maybe, all this time, there was something that got screwed, and u should start from scratch

i never knew building your own computer could be so frustrating... I'd thought building a comp would have less problems than buying a comp from compaq or IBM or Dell...