Quick question on playing DVD on T.V from PC

HellyHans

OSNN Addict
Hi, well I know I can use my s-video output on my video card to play the output on my TV.. But my concern is quality and sound
Would the output and sound quality be the same as if I played it from a normal DVD player hooked up to the TV directly with all those digital sound inputs?
What do you guys recommend.. I want to make my PC the main multimedia center and have the wires run around the place.. thx

well.. I actually I just found out the video quality will suck for DVD and MPEG..its only worth it if I play xvids and divx and stuff like that...and some new DVD home players actualy plays this..
so I think Ill just go buy a normal DVD player for the TV

HellyHans said:
well.. I actually I just found out the video quality will suck for DVD and MPEG..its only worth it if I play xvids and divx and stuff like that...and some new DVD home players actualy plays this..
Where did you "Hear" this from?...as far as I can see, it will be exactly the same.

I used to play all my DVD's from my computer through my S-Video out onto my TV. The quality for the most part was fine, the things that I noticed was that I had to do a good bit of tweaking in the overlay controls to get the colours coming out the way I wanted. But I could have just been being picky too.

get yourself a quality dvd player with DVi or Scart output that has progressive scan, and youl notice MUCH better quality.. i got by for years on PC's TV out to TV, then got myself a nice DK digital 339 which plays dvd/svcd/mp3/xvid/divx/mpeg etc.. and the quality kicks the ass out of the pc's output.. and all for under £55 (uk)

dreamliner77 said:
playback quality shouldn't be any worse than most dedicated dvd players.

this is my precise experience...

I have had no complaints either with my d'top or my laptop and s-video out to the TV in the living room...

IQ is for all intents and purposes the same and the audio is no worse... if the encoding has the appropriate audio content, it will be played back if your entertainment setup supports it..

HellyHans said:

that makes no sense...

from personal experience I know that is incorrect...

Sazar said:
that makes no sense...

from personal experience I know that is incorrect...

well' this is where I got the info saying its not as good
And I know it makes no sense! because its still the same s-video output as on a standalon DVD player.. Neways,check this out

http://www.videohelp.com/play#tv

click "How to Watch video on the TV using a computer with TV-Out"

and what about the progressive scan...most Pc DVD players dont have this no??

my pc connected to my tv gives me more options to control/capture/manipulate dvd options than my dvd player by a very long shot...

anything you want... my pc can do... does not have a built in hard-ware progressive scan but its not really a big deal...

as long as you have a decent dvd decoder you should be just fine...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back