Quick question for PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fantasi, Aug 19, 2006.

1. fantasi

fantasi My Yngy is My HoneY! Folding Team

Ok, i have my thermaltake TWV 480 PSU and its saying my 3.3v is running on 3.1-3.15 is that low? because it actually alarmed and pop up saying it went down to 2.9 something. Whats the spectrum for the 3.3v rail?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If you have cool n quiet on, you can see fluctuations as large as that pretty easily.

The 3.3 V rail should typically be solid or have very little variance if you have no proc clock speed changes (i.e. C n Q is disabled).

Mine doesn't change.

3. fantasi

hmm, i have turned CnQ off now, and the 3.3v rail is on 3.07-3.10. Is there any way i can make it go higher? take off a hard drive or something? or take of a pci card? what does the 3.3v rail get used for?

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Some psu's have pots (potentiometer's) that you can manually adjust. Mine does, as do most PC Power and Cooling psu's, for customizing a little more.

Most don't. So you might be stuck with what you have. It shouldn't make too much of a difference. Keep in mind, some of the software read-outs are a little off anyways.

-edit-

3.3 == rail for cpu/mem/mem controller typically. IIRC

fantasi likes this.
  5. fantasi

well i have tried looking at corecentre, and also the one in the bios hardware temp/voltage and can see that the 3.3v rail is going at 3.09v. Could a lower voltage, make my graphics look choppy, aka something like if I were to have a damaged card? will check if its the card by getting one from a friend, but other then that, I think i need a new PSU. :(

6. Weasel

Weasel Define 'Cynical'

Yes it can make your video choppy like a damaged card. I've seen a faulty/worn out power supply do some weird things (ever seen the Windows95 blue bar turn green?).

fantasi likes this.
  7. fantasi

OMG, fixed my problem. after some re-checking and pushing all my power connectors, i now get a steady 3.34v. huhu thx, all. reps as usual :).

@weasel: thanks for your insight, just reconfirm that it wasnt my gpu. thought it was me :). thx.