question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tittles, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

hey umm bout 2-3 months ago i was online during a storm (stupid idea) and lighting struck and the internet went out and then the computer shut off

when i turned it back on the modem wasnt getting detected and then the computer started to restart by itself and i got a new modem later that week

my dads gf tried to fix my computer but she couldnt get it to stop restarting and she said the lighting might of hit my mother board.

and i was wondering if that is the problem since it stills restarts after 4 fdisks and 4 formats and 5 reinstalls of xp pro also most programs have coruptions when i download them

so can anyone help and tell me if i should by a new mother board now or get the hammer when it comes out since i heard u would need a new mother board to use the hammer

2. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

That surge might have screwed some stuff up. I'm surprised it still works; if lightining had actually hit the line the PC was on, I would think it would die right away. Yours still turns on.

Mabye the problem lies within one of the components. Try running without sound card, see what happens. try running with bare minimal. if that still happens, I think it might be the CPU that is causing random restarts.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Try uninstalling as much hardware as possible then booting up. Maybe try some different ram. If it still reboots then the maybe the mother board is going under that hammer.

4. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Some one please move this thread to hardware, I think it might get more replies there.

5. Tittles

should i do it under device manager or take out the hardware it self from the computer

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Open the case & remove the hardware.

7. Tittles

ok then if i take out the sound card and whatever else how i am goin to beable to use the stuff that needs them if thats what is the problem

8. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Actually in the computer. Unscrew, and put somewhere, like on a wood table, where there is supposed to be little ESD. Electro Static Discharge.

9. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

You're looking for a faulty component. If you take out your sound card, don't use applications that need music. Just run your computer, and see if it restarts.

10. Tittles

ok i did it and it still didnt work anything else i could try

11. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

What did you remove?

12. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

i dun think he did yet.......or she
    prolly jus wonderin if there's other ways of doing it
    buh im pretty sure ur gonna have to take out components from it piece by piece n c if it restarts
    once it stops restartin....there's ur fault hardware