Question About the Vista Transformation Pack

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by failurbydesign, May 28, 2006.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

Im going to created a new user with admin rights, i want to Test the Vista Transformation pack 4 on that user, will this mess up anything on my account???

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Re: new user

I don't think it should, you can always uninstall and things go back to normal anyways.

3. failurbydesign

so i shouldnt create a new user for that? I just dont want anyting to go wrong on my end..

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If the Transformation Pack replaces system files (and I'm almost sure it does), it'll affect the entire system, including your main user account.

Rather than creating a new account, which wouldn't do much good, I'd suggest imaging your drive (which is a good practice anyway) or creating a System Restore point at the very least. With that said, if the Tranformation Pack uninstaller is done properly, it should revert your system back to its original state.

5. Bman

no, u can create a new user, it shouldn't screw up anything on your account.

I was just saying, if for some reason it did, then you can just uninstall it. The only thing that will change on your end, the user account page, and the loading page.

Am I not Right?

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

In order to change shell icons, progress dialog animations etc, the Transformation Pack would need to patch/replace systems files, including shell32.dll and explorer.exe among others. These are not per-user files, so any changes to them affect the system as a whole.

And yes, it can be uninstalled, but if, for some reason, the uninstaller fails to revert the system back to its original state properly, every account on the system will be affected for the reason mentioned above. It's always best to have a backup of the system before you attempt to install anything that patches or replaces system files.

7. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Thread moved and renamed.

The Vista Transformation pack does indeed replace system files including shell32.dll and explorer.exe.

NR is correct, it is a system change not a profile change.

8. failurbydesign

well i did make anew suer and test it on there, its kinda lame..well its really lame, i get better skins using WB5, anyways i did keep the cool clock though...

9. Bman

of course you get better skins with WB5? you didn't think thats a new skinner program right? it's just for that one skin, which isn't that great.