Question about speed and getting 2 ips.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by psx2000, Oct 14, 2003.

1. psx2000

psx2000 Guest

I currently run on 1 IP. I wanted to purchase maybe another 2 IPS from my CABLE provider.

I wanted to be able to run 2 PCs at the same time connected to the internet by using a switch.

Now my question is ,

say both comptuers are on and constantly doing things. Does my bandwidth get cut in half now that i have 2 computers using the internet?

Or does my provider give me the same amount of bandwidth for both ips.

Example say right now my current DL SPEED = 300 KBS

If i get 2 ips will both comps dling at the same time get 300kbs each or

150 KBS each and half the 300 kbs?

Thank You.

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Nope, your speed will be cut in half, but only when both are accessing at the same time. Why not just buy a router instead of a switch to share the connection and avoid paying for the second IP?

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

What j79zlr said, but there are some advantages to 2 ip's even if your bandwidth is halved.

Gaming on both systems at the same time will be problematic (that means a pain in the ass or impossible) when using a router. This applies to many sites and with many games.

Some non game app's will have problems too (netmeeting for one) from behind a router.

Depends on what they hit you for for the second IP.

4. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I did read an article about connection teaming. With cable, you are able to boost you bandwidth if you have two IPs on different subnets. I don't have a URL right, but I'm sure you can google it.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

That sounds very strange. The ISP provides a certain bandwidth (on cable usually limited in the cable modem). If you get two IP:s they may choose to increase your bandwidth or not (on cable, probably not). So no matter what subnet your computers are on, the bandwidth stays the same. It's all in a different OSI layer afaik.

6. vern

Yup, it does ... but some people seem to have had success. I've never tried it myself, so I couldn't verify that. They say it works when your two IPs are on different subnets ... but not on the same subnet. You can google it and find many results that talk about connection teaming.

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

If you had 2 seperate connections, you can do line balancing with a dual WAN router. This uses both connections simultaneously. I don't think you can squeeze more bandwith out of a single connection with 2 IPs.

8. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

you could always ask the cable company.

but is it 2 IPs and 2 Modems? or 2 IPs and 1 modem?

9. vern

2 IPs, 2 different subnets, 1 modem I believe.

10. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I'm too lazy to Google. :p

But I still don't believe it, not by just getting another IP on a connection that is otherwise the same. It just makes no sense. Prove me wrong if you wish. :)