question about mapping drives at startup

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bytezboy, Aug 6, 2003.

1. bytezboy

bytezboy Guest

Hi, I have 3 computers connected to a router with a built in switch. On this one pc with Win2K Pro installed, I mapped all the drives from the other 2 computers.

My question is how can I force Win2K Pro not to display that popup screen when Windows starts about not being able to restore network connection blah blah blah when the other computer(s) are not turned on. I already click on 'stop restoring connection in future and do not display this message again" checkboxes on the popup dialog box.

I just want to boot to Windows without me having to hit YES everytime to "restore in the future or some sort of similar message". Want it to boot to Windows without any interruptions. On my winXP Pro machine which I mapped some drives from the other computer, it doesn't display this annoying message when the computer whom I mapped the drives to is not on. I hope you guys know what I mean, thanks in advance.

2. bytezboy

bytezboy Guest

Bump, none of you gurus know??:eek:

3. jumpy

jumpy Guest

In windows 98 there was a value called RestoreDiskChecked under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network in the registry. 0 = disable the warning msg, 1 = enable the warning msg. That value might still be present in the win2k registry, might as well check for it :)

4. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

Always worth learning little things like these :)

I used to just put up with the warning message... didnt realise you could get rid of it.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I'd like to know too. Some of my drives want a password after each reboot. It seems to be different depending if you logged into the share before mapping it or not the first time.

6. bytezboy

bytezboy Guest

I have to type a password every time I reboot also on the computer where I mapped the drives, isn't there a save password feature? I have posted earlier about going to a mapped drive without entering a password.

7. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Create a batch script and place it in your All Users startup. It should be like this...

@echo off
    net use x: \\server1\share1 /persistent:no > NUL
    net use y: \\server2\share2 /persistent:no > NUL

This script will map drives x and y to the perspective shares. It will make them non-persistent meaning that they will not try to reconnect next time (although they will because of the script). The "> NUL" passes any errors or messages to a NULL meaning that they will not be shown. Hope that helps a little.

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

What about user/pass? Because the mappings are kept, just not the logins.

9. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

net use x: \\server\share /user:username password /persistent:no

Just keep in mind that this will save your password in that file...

10. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

Just a thought.
    Why don't you make a new hardware profile, that doesn't have your network connected. That way it will give you another boot option. Works with notebooks, can't see why it shouldn't work with pc's.

ejm

11. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Yeh what he said. Only problem is if the connection isn't avilable or the computer you are connecting to has a problem the script will pause on each line for a couple of seconds.:mad:

12. darkblade

darkblade OSNN One Post Wonder

The option DOES exist

I had the same issue ages ago. There is a registry hack to enable Quick logon in win2k... but it is a tough one to find!

I found it for a win2k install like 2 months ago, then the same stupid computer broke down, and I can't find it.

the win9x key is "RestoreDiskChecked", you can google it to find info.

There is still hope.

If you happen to find it first, please let me know. If I do, I'll tell you.

Im using a Bugmenot! account, cause I didn't feel like registering. Please send any news to tincho@mailinator.com.

Thanks!

Martin,