Question about Java 1.4.2, Swing, and MSStyle files...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by JSylvia007, Dec 19, 2003.

1. JSylvia007

JSylvia007 OSNN Junior Addict

I have a question pertaining to Java... I'm new to Swing, and javax, and all that, but i've been programming in java for about a year. I searched the web, but cant seem to find anyone who might have any insight to this problem.

I'm teaching myself swing, and decided that I would mess around with UIManage, to change the look of my application. Very Simple application, like i said, i'm only using it to learn swing... I can get the MetalLookAndFeel, and MotifLookAndFeel to work, but i can't seem to get the WindowsLookAndFeel to work correctly. You see, I'm using a "hacked" msstyles file. I created the theme using StyleBuilder, and windows accepts it fine, using the uxtheme patch found here on ntfs.org. When i tell my java application to use the WindowsLookAndFeel, it yells, and I get a dialog box that opens up and has the title "java.exe".

[​IMG]

Which I find strance since windows uses this file perfectly. So since that seemed to be a problem, I temporarily changed my theme back to the windows Luna default theme. My program worked without a hickup.

My question is... Why won't it use my MSStyles file if windows will? and where might I go to ask this question to Java Guru's?

my source code is available if you'd like to see what I did

~Jake

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

there might be a way to give the application a uxtheme.dll file which it is supposed to use for its own uses, but I dont really know how you would go about that as the most Java messing I have done is the stuff on my course which currently is all console based.

3. punkandacoke

punkandacoke eat me

I think java doesn't like your skin. Try changing it and see if it works.

4. JSylvia007

Ok... well... i've switched over to the other LookAndFeels, like Metal and Motif, and both of those work.. But I'd really like to use the WindowsLookAndFeel. If youd like i can post a link to my Java file, and MSStyles file and anything else you might like to see... The only thing I can think of is that you can add a custom theme file and description for it's features, but i dont know how to do that, if anyone does, it would be appreciated.

~Jake

5. punkandacoke

punkandacoke eat me

I mean your windows skin. like your desktop skin. your visual stlye. its may be improperly coded and java may not like it. I say quickly change your vs and see if windowslookandfeel works then. if not, we'll get to the harder stuff.

6. JSylvia007

Ohhh.. yea... if i change to the windows default Skin (Luna - Blue), it works without a hitch... :-D

Some background on my skin, it's just a hacked Luna.msstyles, the only difference is that i changed the colors of the "bmp" files that make the skin.

~Jake

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

strange problems, but then again it is after all a hacked skin.