Question about Dual Booting

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by midiot, Jun 30, 2004.

1. midiot

midiot OSNN One Post Wonder

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about dual boot, but I havent come across my specific situation.

I have WIN98se currently on a PC in a recording studio. We are wanting to Put XP up as a dual boot as well as we start testing XP and the software we are using prior to going full fledge with XP. Since only one partition is currently on the C drive, if I try and install XP, will it allow me to split the current partition into multiple partitions in order to dual boot from the one drive?

thanks

2. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

No it wont

You could use a piece of software like partition magic to reduce the partition you already have and then create another in the space you just created.

Windows xp could then be installed and will work out boot menus and such like for you.

However, for the cost of partition magic you could easily afford another hard drive. add the risk ( albeit slight ) of things going horribly wrong and my advice would be just get another hard drive and install xp on that.

3. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Good advice Bytes Back. The cost of hard drives is dirt these days. Do a little research on your system and make sure it can support what you buy for it.

If you do decide to go the Partition Magic route then be sure to run a defrag on the drive beforehand. In dual boot always install the older OS first so you're actually good to go where that's concerned. And don't fall into the common 'fear' over NTFS. 98 won't be able to 'see' that partition or drive (w/o third party software support) so just be careful you don't accidently format your XP partition or drive when 98 tells you it's not formatted. But definantly use ntfs with XP.

Edit\ Oh, and XP will see the 98 drive/paritition no problem.

Bytes Back likes this.
  4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

What software are you using in the studio. I have alot of experience with that stuff, and know how most will deal with XP. Even though, in a studio environment, I might suggest win2k over XP.

5. midiot

thanks for the advise.

We are using the Ensoniq/E-mu Paris DAW. I have been testing it out at home with XP and it has crashes here and there but it may not be too bad.

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

If Paris is crashing on XP, I be very inclined to think that it's a hardware issue. I've never had a problem with Paris on XP. Granted I haven't used it in about 2 years, but it ran *decently* with 384 meg of ram IIRC.

7. midiot

well it isnt constantly crashing or anything. A little here and a little there. :D I may not have all the tweaks correct yet.