Question about dual booting

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mr. Ass, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Mr. Ass

Mr. Ass Guest

I currently have Win XP pro installed.... im gonna fresh install (boot from cd) and install it on another ntfs partition.... will my computer automatically configure itself for the dual booting.. if not what do i have to do? (and dont say use boot magic cuz i tried that and it wont work with ntfs partitions for some reason):D :D :D :D :D :D

2. Mr. Ass

Mr. Ass Guest

OOps im gonna install Windows 2000 on the other partition i forgot to mention that

3. yes it should update boot.ini file with new choice

4. Mr. Ass

Mr. Ass Guest

sounds good to me thanx

5. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

not sure

But if it was win98 then win98 would need to be installed first seeing as it is win2k and both are gonna be on ntfs file systems I believe that it will be able to set itself up right, if not after you get back you could run the drive manager and you should be able to fix any little problems

6. Adam S

Adam S Guest

so just to clarify. if u have XP on a partition of another drive, i can create a second partition in disk management, reboot and boot a windows 2k CD,a nd install it on the new (second) parition on the same drive.

and it will automatically take care of the dual booting (it will modify boot.ini)? after 2k is installed, i can reboot and i will see my choices?