Question about Downloading in IE

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by osb, Jan 16, 2002.

1. osb

osb Guest

ok, me and my friends been trying to download some mp3's from, the problem is that it does not prompt them to open/save but it does for me, is there a registry setting to enable download prompts for mp3/media?

p.s. - I have tried going to file types, and checked with the settings there.
  2. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

im just guessing here, but try looking around here in the registry...but make sure you back up your registry before hand or wait for confirmation from anybody else

HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current version/ internet settings/Accepted documents
  3. existenz

existenz Guest

That's cause you're supposed to buy their CD's.

On their site, you're supposed to get a sample of their song, instead of the .mp3 file...

But there are ways...:D
  4. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

What i think he meant was that most browsers are set to open the default media player when a link to a file with an .mp3 extension is clicked. Im sure there is something in the registry to prompt before doing this. For example, when you click the link to a .zip file, your browser should ask you if you want to open from its current location or save it to disk. On this same popup window it has an option that says something like "always ask before downloading items of this type." If you uncheck this, everytime you click the link to a .zip file, it will save as a temp file and open in the window of your default zip utility. Im not sure how works, but if it is just a link to a file, you can right click on it an choose save target as.