Question about Cpu + mobo + os combo

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I am looking to purchase a new cpu/mobo/and os for gaming to go along with 2 Geforce 280s running in SLI.

I had a few questions...

1. Should I go with Vista Ultimate 64 bit or 32 bit? My concern is I want to be able to play world of warcraft and my other pc games and I was concerned it wouldn't work in Vista 64 bit. Along with my mods that I play with in World of Warcraft.

2. What CPU + Mobo would you buy if your total budget is $1500 for a new cpu/mobo. I prefer Asus Mobos/Intel Cpus if possible.

Sorry for all the question but I been out of the loop for so long I have no clue what to buy and what not. I figured everyone here is an expert on this matter and could save me a lot of headaches.

Thanks You,
Homesick

1/Vista 64 bit. WOW works fine.
2/ASUS Striker II NSE w/Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz

Yeah, you can use Vista 64. And Asus Striker II is a good selection. Me, personally, would go with the EVGA 79i Ultra (for sli) or Asus Maximus II Formula becuase I like ATI. But the Striker II extreme is a nice 790 board.

You have to remember that if you are going for sli; you can not run dual monitor with it.

Yeah, you can use Vista 64. And Asus Striker II is a good selection. Me, personally, would go with the EVGA 79i Ultra (for sli) or Asus Maximus II Formula becuase I like ATI. But the Striker II extreme is a nice 790 board.

You have to remember that if you are going for sli; you can not run dual monitor with it.

Yea I currently have a 7800 set in SLI and I don't care for dual monitors for home use.

My only concern is CPU the 2.5 ghz cpu seems a tad low. If I wanted to max my budget at $1500 for cpu/mobo combo what would be the best to get?

Sorry if I come across as a noob just out of the hardware field for a long time and want to avoid over clocking and just buy a stock cpu.

This is the best motherboard you can buy, but you'll have to settle for an NVidia chipset because of their inexplicable choice to control all SLI configurations.

Vista 64 works great (been running it for a few months now), and haven't had a problem with any 32 bit applications.

For CPU, I recommend either an E8600 (3.33 GHz) for gaming. If you are doing a lot of video editing, 3D rendering, or zipping files, the equivalent speed quad--QX9770--would be what you want. As far as games go, a QX9770 is hardly faster than an old E6850 and hardly warrants the extra $1300.

Yea I currently have a 7800 set in SLI and I don't care for dual monitors for home use.

My only concern is CPU the 2.5 ghz cpu seems a tad low. If I wanted to max my budget at $1500 for cpu/mobo combo what would be the best to get?

Sorry if I come across as a noob just out of the hardware field for a long time and want to avoid over clocking and just buy a stock cpu.

I thought that was your entire computer budget [other than the cards you bought]. I went with that chip since its on the new fab and a good performer plus you can upgrade later if you like. If you want something fast other than an extreme processor then here you go
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

Yes, the rampage is a good one also.

Homesick - You can get a 2.8 quad (qx9550 - 329.00) and a striker or rampage (288.00) for less than 1500.00. Heck, you would be able to get the mobo, processor, and member for less than that ...

[edit] I just saw a Yorkfield 9650 3.0 quad for 549.00 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130 [/edit]

Terra, that is true - The rampage is a crossfire ...

Which is why I had a comma, a "but", and an entirely different thought in my sentence acknowledging that fact.

Yeah I saw that and sorry about that. Personally the 790i boards are better pound for pound. [my opinion]

Ok thank you for all the help. I am sorry if I caused any confusion in this thread. If I did I am sorry. After all that reading from what you posted I decided to go with this cpu.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Would this mobo below work best with it and give me the sli feature for my 280 and performance? Or is there something better for Geforce 280 in SLI mobo with the above cpu?

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131334

One other question because I wasn't around when Crossfire was in retail. Is Crossfire and Nvidias SLI based cards both use the same type of slot?

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS for all the help everyone. You just saved me a nightmare at my local computer shop.

The rampage is a crossfire board, you won't be able to use sli with it.

Both crossfire and sli use the same slot. They are both pcie2 slot cards.

I just took another look at that rampage extreme - It is a beautiful board.

The rampage is a crossfire board, you won't be able to use sli with it.

Both crossfire and sli use the same slot. They are both pcie2 slot cards.

Ooops thanks for saving me from making that mistake.

What is the best mobo for that cpu with sli geforce?

Ok thank you for all the help. I am sorry if I caused any confusion in this thread. If I did I am sorry. After all that reading from what you posted I decided to go with this cpu.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Would this mobo below work best with it and give me the sli feature for my 280 and performance? Or is there something better for Geforce 280 in SLI mobo with the above cpu?

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131334

One other question because I wasn't around when Crossfire was in retail. Is Crossfire and Nvidias SLI based cards both use the same type of slot?

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS for all the help everyone. You just saved me a nightmare at my local computer shop.

woah there my friend. You can run crossfire on that board but not SLI. Since you have two Nvidia cards you absolutely will need a mobo with an Nvidia chipset. The nforce 790i sli boards are it. All three PCI Ex lanes run at 16x. The EVGA 790i ultra is the top board for the price and performance. Asus board just has extras you probably wont use which jacks up the price. Intel will be releasing there new chipset later in the year that will enable you to run crossfire and SLI on the same chipset if you want to wait.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188025
This bad boy does it all.

edit: I see Johnny beat me to it

EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra

I agree, terra - That evga 79oi ultra ftw is a great board. I would get that over an asus - I only wish it supported crossfire. Oh well ...

[edit] If I was going for asus with sli; I would go with the striker II [/edit]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back