Quad Core Processors

Petros

Thief IV
Quad Core processors are finally here, and they're actually affordable. On benchmarks where programs are designed to use all four cores, they roast dual-core parts. Do you think we'll be seeing this same trend spill over to games?

An E6850 (dual core) runs today's games better than a Q6600, but will that be the case in a year? Two years? What would be a wiser purchase right now?

As more and more games are designed to be multi-threaded, you will see a bigger performance difference.

At the moment, I think there are only a couple of games that are significantly multi-threaded. Company of Heroes or some other similar game is supposed to show pretty decent performance improvements.

flight sim x has the service pack to allow multi core. you will see gains there.

Here's my thought after a little consideration:
Over the next couple of years, apps and games are expected to utilize multiple cores more and more. Buying a quad core makes sense for future-proofing, because even though your clock speed may fall behind the curve, you are still staying on pace as everything starts using multiple cores.

After the games you mentioned, I looked up a few more. It seems almost every major next-gen title will benefit from more cores. Bioshock, Crysis, Hellgate: London, and a bunch of other graphics and physics powerhouses will be coded to take advantage of the extra cores. I think the Q6600 might be my choice for this round.

If I do pick one up, I can't wait to try it with Bioshock! Hopefully I'll be able to scrape together enough to buy one in a month ;) Upgrading from a 939 processor, so I have to get DDR2 and everything.

By the way, the maps in Alan Wake are freakin huge. Like WoW huge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetnKgOxrSI

Last edited:
Why?

It's about time y'all lamers get on the ball and Vista-fy yourselves :cool:

Vista is 'orrible!
XP is tried and tested, does everything I want it to do and does it well. Why do I want to go to an OS which doesn't support some of the things I use, has issues with drivers and will result in games not running as well?

Vista is 'orrible!
XP is tried and tested, does everything I want it to do and does it well. Why do I want to go to an OS which doesn't support some of the things I use, has issues with drivers and will result in games not running as well?

So wait a year then get Vista, that way its been tried and tested a fair bit. Then get a quad core :p

Anyone have a reasonable idea of when this will become common techonology in the UK and at a reasonable price? As this is the major piece of technology I have been waiting for before I build a new rig - I'm still one of the rearguard who has a non-duo processor here :p

The Q6600s took a bit hit in price last month, I waited until a few days after before I bought mine. They're about £175 now.
The whole rig in my sig, including Logitech G15 keybaord and MX518 mouse, but without a monitor, cost £951 if that's an indicator.

November 11th.

Penryn quads :cool:

I was waiting and waiting for a drop date and prices :cool:

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Sets+Penryn+Launch+Date/article8451.htm

E5440 2.83 GHz 80W 12MB $690
E5430 2.66 GHz 80W 12MB $455
E5420 2.50 GHz 80W 12MB $316
E5410 2.33 GHz 80W 12MB $256
E5405 2.00 GHz 80W 12MB $209

The more affordable ones :cool:

Penryn folding farm FTW !!!

You and your news! ARRRGH it keeps making me want to wait for the next big thing. Blah I'll just buy whatever is best when I have the money scraped up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back