Putting Linux on a router

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Is it possible to put linux on a router? I have a Sitecom DC-202 router and I have read about mods some people made to their routers, putting Linux on it etc. Is there any list/howto's available that tells you how to do it and what to watch out for?

I'd definately say no, at least without massive work, unless some routers happen to run some suitable hardware. Where did you see this? Sounds interesting nontheless.

Well, we use a Sitecom router at work which has been installed with custom firmware, but the guy who installed it refused to tell me how it was done... That's why I asked

I'm sure it could be done if you really wanted to. You would probably have to hack the firmware though and really know what your doing.

I never knew Linux could be put onto Sitecom's. I have a very basic custom Linux on my Linksys so it is possible.

I'd imagine you just need to find the un-official firmware and flash it accross.

Hmm, thanks anyway. Guess it's just not possible, without taking huge risks :( Too bad though, it could be fun.

NetBSD will run on a toaster. That's what makes it great. :D

I would just like to interject that you need to be careful, if you flash the router, it may not be able to be recovered back to its original state.

What is the point of this, so you can setup your own iptables or what?

chrisbyrd said:
Geffy seems to think netbsd will run on our toaster :D
possibly not the one in the flat, its quite crap. I can see the day though

min sys req
twin toaster

rec sys req
quad toaster

:p

Geffy said:
possibly not the one in the flat, its quite crap.
:p
this is very true

i discovered today that it does not even fully accomodate two ordinary sized slices of bread. they need to be rotated 180 degrees to ensure evenish toasting top+bottom

appologies if this is slightly off-topic :D

j79zlr said:
I would just like to interject that you need to be careful, if you flash the router, it may not be able to be recovered back to its original state.

What is the point of this, so you can setup your own iptables or what?
Just for fun. I have read someone that flashed his router with a version of Linux and with help of NFS let i think it booted off a interconnected 160 GB hd drive. I thought it would be fun if I could do the same :)

This is not for the sitecom router but a nice guide for Linksys.

May be of use.

Here

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back