PS3 Delayed? Say it ain't so

Good things come to those who wait ;)

Although I wont buy one, I will certainly want to try it out when it does eventually arrive.

Sony is being overly ambitious in its design.

This and the fact that it is haemoraghing money will likely cause the delays.

PS has a large following, the ps3 will still have fans when it is released.

Well the just the parts of one will cost $900. This does not even include the cost of actually putting one together! If Sony wants to release it this year then, then they either

a) Lose hundreds of dollars per unit. MS is "only" losing about $125 per 360. If the PS3 is priced at $399, then Sony will be losing around $500 per unit!

b) Price the PS3 at a much higher price than originally thought. $600, $700!

With that in mind they might have to delay it until next year to minimize losses.

Sony gave an interview about this today actually saying it will be out in the "spring", but no word on what territory(s). It is most likely Japan only and nobody knows at what price. linky

This could end up costing Sony a bit if it's released much latter then the Xbox 360 which is already released, and if it ends up costing much more...

What's more, after the Xbox 360 has been around for awhile, and Microsoft has made a certain profit off of the games for the Xbox 360 already, they might be in a possition to introduce some price cuts and agressive marketing to try to remain at top. This combined with a delay for unknown amount of time, many game devs might just decide to develop certain titles to the Xbox 360 rather then wait for the PS3 to get released, if the delay is too long...

The Game Cube was a late commer the last time around, and in spite of some of it's innovations, it ended up getting priced around $99 when I bought it (against $249 I payed for my PS2 which had been around awhile by then, albeit I got the model with the LAN card for online gaming with it). To this day, the game titles for the Game Cube has been sparse by comparison to the other 2 consoles.

Yes, Sony has the largest number of games now, but if it takes too long, and will be a lot more expensive for consumers then the then dated Xbox 360 platform, how many game devs will hold off on developing their own game ideas to the platform already available?

Sony cant aford to price higher than the xbox 360, it needs to be in the same price range. Will loose them too many customers otherwise.

I have faith in Sony...I dont really care about the price..that is why people have jobs to buy stuff.

i will buy it whatever the price. i heard rumors that the games will cost around £70. is this true. surely not. and i hope its released before summer in the uk.

Xie said:
Sony gave an interview about this today actually saying it will be out in the "spring", but no word on what territory(s). It is most likely Japan only and nobody knows at what price. linky

Spring 2007?

:cool:

Henyman said:
Sony cant aford to price higher than the xbox 360, it needs to be in the same price range. Will loose them too many customers otherwise.

I agree, which is what could really end up being bad for them, if some mention on the delayed release is true. Keep in mind that the Game Cube arguably had superior tech to the PS2, and also introed at a lower price then the PS2 cost, not at intro, but at the time the Game Cube was released. I bought both consoles at the same time, and think I payed $240 for the PS2 which included the NIC for online game play. The Game Cube I bought for $100...

Even with the Game Cube arguably having the better tech, most games are, and continue to be released for PS2. This could have as much to do with Sony having gotten their console out sooner so devs started making games to it, as it does to Sony's name... Even now, and more then a year after I bought these consoles (more like 2 years almost), there are still few titles I see in local stores when I go to the mall or wherever else for the Game Cube, in comparison to the PS2...

Now, Microsoft was the first out the gate this time around, and if Sony ends up taking the same route that Nintendo did last go around, devs might say "fek that, we want to sell our games, not wait on you". At which point, Xbox 360 could turn into the widely supported platform that PS2 did last go around...

Sazar said:
Spring 2007?

:cool:
For US, yes most likely. :p Unless they try and do some crazy mess like MS and release in Japan and US at the same time (making sure neither gets consoles).

Son Goku said:
Now, Microsoft was the first out the gate this time around, ...
MS was first out of the gate but dropped the ball hard. I've read reports of people still not being able to find the things, and others that can find them and nobody is buying them. :p

This looks to be one messy "next gen" that looks to favor Nintendo right now.

y does the ps3 cost so much to make. will it be better than the 360 then?

Xie said:
MS was first out of the gate but dropped the ball hard. I've read reports of people still not being able to find the things, and others that can find them and nobody is buying them. :p

This looks to be one messy "next gen" that looks to favor Nintendo right now.

Well, obviously some people are buying them, or the stores wouldn't have trouble keeping it in stock and meeting demand :D Either way however, 2007 is still a ways away, and gives time to get production more up to speed. In the interum, many companies could chose not to wait to begin game development, also considering that they're going to want a working console to QA test the thing off of, before shipping it out for sale...

Time of course will tell. On another forum, I saw mention that one upcomming game is going to be released to PS2, rather then PS3, so that also can happen... Time waiting on the hardware is also money for the game developers as well, until they can market their own product that is...

bobsalot said:
y does the ps3 cost so much to make. will it be better than the 360 then?

The blueray drive cost more then the console should cost.
Is it even possible to produce games that fit 50 gigs? Are we really there yet, or will the games be entirely cinematic based?

I really think Sony shot themselves in the foot. New chip, new optical disc drive, new everything. This thing wont be affordable for at least 2 years. They should phase in Blueray, over time... once manufacturing costs fall, and media costs become more reasonable.

I have heard that the PS3 is designed to be too many things. I would think the person(s) responsible for brainstorming up this disasterous scenario should be taken off Sony payroll immediately.

Like jimi pointed out. The PS3 uses newer parts. And the costs behind designed these new parts are already into the billions. So they've invested a huge, huge amount in them already.

Right now, Sony can't manufacture the new parts as cheaply as they would like because it takes time for the costs of making them to go down.

Technically, the PS3 and 360 are approximately the same in power. Don't be surprised if games on both systems ended up looking exactly the same.

Now, if a certain developer learn how to truly exploit certain advantages in each console, then expect games on the two systems to look different. However, such games are 2 to 3 years away.

So technically, the 360 has an edge in that developers will be designing for a system that is already here. This isn't the only place Sony has dropped the ball.
http://www.updatemytv.com/ hehe this affects all of their LCDs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back