Proteus now free.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I don't know how many of you (if any) use proteus, but it's now a free download:
Proteus, the chat client for the Mac by Defaultware, is now free! With Proteus, you can simultaneously connect to AIM, Yahoo!, MSN , ICQ, Jabber (including Gtalk), Bonjour, Gadu Gadu and Sametime chat services. Plus, it sports a customizable, Mac-like UI and plays well with Address Book.

When you download the current version 4.12, you will have to go through the registration process, but there will be no charge. Defaultware has stated that a new version that does not require any sort of registration will be made available soon, as well as a universal binary.
Personally, I'm a fan of Adium but will be willing to give this a go (when the site comes back, seems dead at the moment :D).

Anyone have any experience with this app ?

Link: http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/

Re: Proteus

Adium is a nice app. I'll wait for the universal binary of Proteus before I download and try it out.

Re: Proteus

I might give it an install later, the site seems Ok now, and the iBook is due a wipe soon anyway ;)

There are a few apps out there which are "the same thing", there are three which usually stand out though...

Fire is open source, as is Adium, and now proteus is free. It's a good thing for the multi-protocol IM market. Competition is always healthy.

Unless you've tried them all though, how do you know that Fire is the best for you? :D

it's not free!! It says that it is shareware and this is just a free trial :s

EDIT: I really like it though, much better than fire :D

The version on their web-site still includes the registration process. If you head over to the web-site and "register" you will go through the process without paying, and receive your registration key.

The beta release I linked a few posts up removes any need for registering at all.

There is always Adium to try too :D

i've been using proteus for ages, i love it, its far better than adium ever was imo

I am a switcher. I just switched my MSN over to Proteus.
Looks soo much nicer :D

o_0 ...

What exactly does Proteus have that Adium doesn't ? I've used both and resort to Adium mostly.

Adum FTW!!!1

I have never used Adium, when I did, i did not like it, so I had been using the default MSN client from MS.

I just downloaded this and got it configured. Liking it so far. :)

SPeedY_B said:
o_0 ...

What exactly does Proteus have that Adium doesn't ? I've used both and resort to Adium mostly.

Adum FTW!!!1
Adium will only ever show your username as your email address and I think it only ever sends it that way too. very annoying and crappy

My contact list has all users names ... the only protocol which shows the users email rather than name is GMail/GTalk. You just need to ensure that show contact name is set to 'alias' rather than 'user name'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back