Proper way to configure a network?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
I seem to have this problem on and off, and it's been happening since I had XP, then when I had Vista, and now when I have 7. I can never have my network working properly =(. Sometimes using computer names (\\comp_name) works, other times I have to force it by using the IP address because the other method says the host doesn't exist. I have no idea how to fix this issue and it's been driving me nuts for a very long time now. I don't mind reconfiguring my entire network, so don't hesitate to suggest that as long as you can provide steps :).
My router is issuing static DHCP ip addresses based on MAC addresses, other than that, there's nothing very special about the current configuration (no weird software firewalls, etc).

If you are using a regular router all you really have to do is hook the computers up to it. I have a network with windows 7 on all computers, and a print server. It works great. You might be hooking it up wrong, or have the setting wrongs. I would unhook everything, set everything to default, then re-hook everything up to see what it does ..

That's pretty much what I have right now, except that one computer is running Vista, the other is running XP, and the rest are running 7. When you say I should set everything to default, what exactly is there to set?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back