Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Admiral Michael, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I am having problems with my IDE controller card. When I am using my computer, the 3 cdroms connected to it just "restart" this causes my computer to freeze up for a minute.

Here is my computer's setup:

Onboard IDE
    Primary Master - Western Digital 60GB
    Primary Slave - None
    Secondary Master - None
    Secondary Slave - Iomega 250MB Zip

Promise Card
    Primary Master - LG 52x24x52x CDRW
    Primary Slave - Panasonic 5x DVDROM
    Primary Master - LG 52x CDROM
    Primary Slave - None

Heres a link to a screenshot of Device Manager - View By Connection Click Here

Almost forgot, I'm running Windows XP Pro, AMD Duron 1600+, 512MB DDR. and I installed the latest drivers and I upgraded the card's BIOS.

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

You should NEVER put CD-ROMs or other external storage devices on an external controller card. Hard Drives should go on the external controller with CD-ROMs and the ZIP Drive remaining on the motherboard's controller.

JJB

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Why is that?

4. JJB6486

It mainly applies to CD/DVD burners. Many burning applications and utilities will not properly access drives on a card and you will spit out nothing but coasters.

Cards are optimized for ATA/66/100/133 hard drives, so its just a general rule of thumb that optical drives (that normally use PIO or ATA/33 at the most) dont belong on them.

JJB

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Have you got a big enough power supply to handle all those drives? 400-450W would be recommended. Are all the drives connected to a single power supply header using spliter cables? Thats too much load on one connection.

Spread it around on all the power supply connectors as evenly as possible.

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

(i got a pm off this guy, that started the thread)

ok so i got the same card, and all i can say is i never mangaged to get a cd rom drive running off the card since you asked me about this problem.

i brought this card because it was designed to run 4 slave drives with a built in bios and io controller to allow fast transfer speeds all round. this it does very well, in all reviews. i can't find any refrence to cd drives running off it.

sod's law the card you got is none bootable, so you cannot run the hard drive from the card allowing the 3 cd roms on the mobo. i have no idea how the zip drive will function ( if at all) on the controler card.

my rig is setup with a boot drive and 3 cd roms on the mobo, and 4 hard drives on the controller card. i transfer about 2gb a min from drive to drive, hence getting this card.

if you brought the card locally, chance is they will change it for a card that will run the cd drives for the purpose you have in mind.
    i hope this helps. :(

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

i run a 450W PSU with an extra 3 connectors solderd into the circuit board. and 2 thermaltake smart fans with the sensors stuck on the PSU heatsink instead of the standard 2 fans it came with :cool:

8. Admiral Michael

Well, I ony have a 250Watt PSU, I kno I kno. But I did rearrange the drive setup and so far its working normal. Heres the setup:

Onboard:
    Pri Master: WD 60GB HDD
    Pri Slave : None
    Sec Master: LG 52x CDROM
    Sec Slave: LG 52x24x52 CDRW

PCI Card:
    Pri Master: None
    Pri Slave: Iomega Zip 250
    Sec Master: None
    Sec Slave: None

I removed the DVDROM becasue I dont watch DVDs on my comp, I use my laptop cuz I have an old monitor and theinages is dark.

9. Admiral Michael

Also forgot, the bix that the card came in said it will add up to four devices including tape backup, cd-rw/dvd, ide cdcdroms and other ide drives.

This is bad advertising.

10. JJB6486

I'd still invenst in a bigger power supply. At least 400w if you want to run that many drives.

JJB

11. Dlovely

Dlovely Guest

I use a Promise Ultra100 TX2 controller card for my hard drives with no problems whatsoever. WinXP picks up the drivers and are more current than the supplied floppy disk. I run all 3 Optical drives (DVD+R/CD-RW/DVD-Rom) off of the IDE's and it works like a charm. I agree that you should run the HD's off the controller card and not optical drives. I'm running this on a Asus P4PE board with a 450 PSU and have yet to run into problems.