Promise PDC20276 ATA/RAID Controller...

jonifen

pffff...
Hi all, I've got a bit of a problem with my PC at home... its not a major issue really and I can make do with it, but I'm sure in a month or two I'll be tearing my hair out over it (and being a male at the age of 22 (and living with 4 females)... I'm starting to get less and less to tear!).

First of all... my hardware spec
Intel P4 2.4GHz 533fsb
1024Mb (2x 512Mb) PC2700 DDR
Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra
Soundblaster Live Value PCI
Leadtek gf4 ti4200 8x AGP
40Gb Seagate Barracuda IV (ata100, 7200rpm)
80Gb Maxtor (unsure of exact model - its a diamondmax I think - ata133, 7200rpm)
48x LG CDRW
16x Pioneer DVD105s DVDROM
4x Pioneer DVR106d DVDRW

secondly... my problem
I recently changed my drives around in my system before doing a complete clean install of WinXP SP1. They were originally set as:
Primary Master: 40gb seagate
Primary Slave: cdrw
Sec Master: dvdrom
Sec Slave: dvdrw
Promise Channel 1 master: 80gb maxtor

I changed them to this:
Primary Master: dvdrom
Primary Slave: cdrw
Sec Master: none
Sec Slave: dvdrw (couldnt get to the jumper to change to master - not much room as its near psu)
Promise Channel 1 master: 40gb seagate
Promise Channel 2 master: 80gb maxtor

Anyway, since the reinstall, I've noticed that when the 40gb is accessed, my mouse (intellimouse optical usb) goes jittery and sound tends to jump a bit too.

All that just to say my sound is jumpy and my mouse is jittery!

So to cut a long story short... can anyone give me any advice to help solve this? I have to admit, the system itself runs quicker with both HDDs on the promise controller... but if I'm moving the mouse while the HDD is being accessed (usually has to be accessed a fair bit... more than loading Outlook anyway) it goes jittery, and if I'm playing mp3s or anything, they jump slightly. So if possible, I'd like to keep both HDDs on the promise controller. I've already tried the CDRW on the promise controller in the past to keep the 40gb at least on its own cable on primary IDE, but the cdrw ran garbage (due to the ata controller not being good with atapi functions).

So then... if anyone can help, its appreciated :)
thanks in advance.

I run the Gigabyte G7vaxp Ultra. similar to your spec.
Also the Promise Controller with a 40Gb and 120 Gb hard drives on first channel.
I would agree that a DVDRW has occasional faults when connected to the Promise controller.
Other than that its another 120 Gb drive on normal IDE1 and CDRW / Zip on IDE2.

Sorry I have not looked back, but do you have onboard sound ?

Are there any D/ Manager yellow exclamations ?

I have actually solved my problem :)

For those who have the problem in the future, the solution is this :)
Uninstall 2.00.1020.41 promise drivers (come on the cd with mobo) and reboot.
& Install 2.00.1020.32 promise drivers (I found them on a gigabyte archive ftp) and another reboot.

Problem solved for me (so far, only put em on a bit ago, an the whole pc seems more stable)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back