Progress: Windows on an (Intel) Mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Jan 19, 2006.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Quite a few people are interested in this, so I thought an official thread would be a good idea.

Progress getting into the EFI settings was made recently, and now it looks like someone over at osx86project.org (Were most news about this will come from, I imagine :D) has managed to get up to the "Press any key to boot from CD" stage of installing Vista.

Screenshots are available here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=7168&view=findpost&p=44696

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Wow, that gets way to deep for me, but it's exciting to see the progress!

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Apparently we can load XP on it as well according to some posts I've seen recently ... I'll go mine the info out again...

/trolling...

4. SPeedY_B

XP will rely on some sort of compatibility module within EFI, which comes down to Apple more than Microsoft/Windows/Intel... I don't believe they have the module installed/enabled (which of course, doesn't mean it can't be hacked into the EFI).

Where-as Vista just supports EFI and BIOS right out the box, making it the easier candidate to install on the Intel Macs.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Excellent. Nothing like a little extra incentive! :)

7. NetRyder

8. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

9. SPeedY_B

Looks like any sight of progression has hit a wall.

The bounty is just short of $11k, and still nothing more than was found out before the bounty was started. I like the idea that the guy will donate all the money to charity if no-one boots XP at a certain dead-line, but March seems a bit early to me?

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I'm thinking we may see a bit more development once MacBook Pro's start shipping (many people have them on pre-order after-all).

10. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The bounty is almost at 12k now..

If you read a little on this thread on their forum, they rip apart the neosmart link someone posted here earlier

11. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Well, it's March 23rd and he did promise his boss ....

Charity? He's donating to Electronic Frontier Foundation. Cool. :)

12. SPeedY_B

MacBook Pro's have began shipping. People better get a move on if they want the bounty.

13. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Since I've been keepin up with this sorta, I just wanna know how the progress is because the site seems to be down and I used to check it everyday.

14. NetRyder

I don't think anyone's had any luck booting any flavor of Windows on a Mac yet.
    On the other hand, Maxxuss has been busy patching every release of 10.4.x to run on non-Apple hardware. :D

15. fitz

I heard someone got the XP setup screen to start - but that was as far as he got..

**goes searching for the link**

edit: here is a link to the pictures the guy posted of the initial setup screen running

Also, I found a link to someone that got linux (knoppix) to boot and run XP under VMWare on their intel mac. Supposedly it runs very quickly.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  16. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I just want there to be a standardization of everything. We have far too many solutions, too many sku's and part numbers and way too much work to integrate all the different stuff out there.

A standard platform would make life so much easier and allow so much more innovation because then people could concentrate on the products themselves, rather than compatability.

17. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

I see...
    Thanks for the info!

18. fitz

Report of XP booting on Intel Mac

Not sure which forum to really put this in (mac or windows based) since it crosses platforms.. I was going to put this in the existing thread, but thought it big enough to deserve a thread of it's own. (note to mods: feel free to move/merge the thread as desired)

There are reports that someone has gotten Windows XP to install/boot natively on the new intel Mac's. The reports have not been verified as of yet but he has posted detailed instructions as well as asked people to verify it for themselves..

Various links posted below:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/3/13/3169
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/14/xp-on-mactel-game-over/
    http://winxponmac.com/ (note: this site has basically been buried due to bandwidth overload)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32436196@N00 -- > screen shots

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  19. fitz

Re: Report of XP booting on Intel Mac

On a related note, some folks from IBM are also (in their free time) developing what appears to be a BIOS emulator called BAMBIOS that would also possibly allow XP to boot on EFI systems.

OSNews also has a story on this..

20. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

Re: Report of XP booting on Intel Mac

wasn't this confirmed in an announcement by mac ages ago? iirc they said "we cannot stop our users running windows on these machines" or something of that nature