Progress: Windows on an (Intel) Mac

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Quite a few people are interested in this, so I thought an official thread would be a good idea.

Progress getting into the EFI settings was made recently, and now it looks like someone over at osx86project.org (Were most news about this will come from, I imagine :D) has managed to get up to the "Press any key to boot from CD" stage of installing Vista.

Screenshots are available here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=7168&view=findpost&p=44696

Wow, that gets way to deep for me, but it's exciting to see the progress!

Apparently we can load XP on it as well according to some posts I've seen recently ... I'll go mine the info out again...

/trolling...

XP will rely on some sort of compatibility module within EFI, which comes down to Apple more than Microsoft/Windows/Intel... I don't believe they have the module installed/enabled (which of course, doesn't mean it can't be hacked into the EFI).

Where-as Vista just supports EFI and BIOS right out the box, making it the easier candidate to install on the Intel Macs.

Looks like any sight of progression has hit a wall.

The bounty is just short of $11k, and still nothing more than was found out before the bounty was started. I like the idea that the guy will donate all the money to charity if no-one boots XP at a certain dead-line, but March seems a bit early to me?

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I'm thinking we may see a bit more development once MacBook Pro's start shipping (many people have them on pre-order after-all).

The bounty is almost at 12k now..

If you read a little on this thread on their forum, they rip apart the neosmart link someone posted here earlier

SPeedY_B said:
Looks like any sight of progression has hit a wall.

The bounty is just short of $11k, and still nothing more than was found out before the bounty was started. I like the idea that the guy will donate all the money to charity if no-one boots XP at a certain dead-line, but March seems a bit early to me?

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I'm thinking we may see a bit more development once MacBook Pro's start shipping (many people have them on pre-order after-all).

Well, it's March 23rd and he did promise his boss ....

Charity? He's donating to Electronic Frontier Foundation. Cool. :)

MacBook Pro's have began shipping. People better get a move on if they want the bounty.

Since I've been keepin up with this sorta, I just wanna know how the progress is because the site seems to be down and I used to check it everyday.

I don't think anyone's had any luck booting any flavor of Windows on a Mac yet.
On the other hand, Maxxuss has been busy patching every release of 10.4.x to run on non-Apple hardware. :D

I heard someone got the XP setup screen to start - but that was as far as he got..

**goes searching for the link**

edit: here is a link to the pictures the guy posted of the initial setup screen running

Also, I found a link to someone that got linux (knoppix) to boot and run XP under VMWare on their intel mac. Supposedly it runs very quickly.

Last edited:
I just want there to be a standardization of everything. We have far too many solutions, too many sku's and part numbers and way too much work to integrate all the different stuff out there.

A standard platform would make life so much easier and allow so much more innovation because then people could concentrate on the products themselves, rather than compatability.

Report of XP booting on Intel Mac

Not sure which forum to really put this in (mac or windows based) since it crosses platforms.. I was going to put this in the existing thread, but thought it big enough to deserve a thread of it's own. (note to mods: feel free to move/merge the thread as desired)

There are reports that someone has gotten Windows XP to install/boot natively on the new intel Mac's. The reports have not been verified as of yet but he has posted detailed instructions as well as asked people to verify it for themselves..

Various links posted below:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/3/13/3169
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/14/xp-on-mactel-game-over/
http://winxponmac.com/ (note: this site has basically been buried due to bandwidth overload)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32436196@N00 -- > screen shots

Last edited:
Re: Report of XP booting on Intel Mac

On a related note, some folks from IBM are also (in their free time) developing what appears to be a BIOS emulator called BAMBIOS that would also possibly allow XP to boot on EFI systems.

OSNews also has a story on this..

Re: Report of XP booting on Intel Mac

wasn't this confirmed in an announcement by mac ages ago? iirc they said "we cannot stop our users running windows on these machines" or something of that nature

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back