Program Cleaner

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by NLM, Jul 17, 2003.

1. NLM

NLM Guest

I am using win 2000. What is a good program to clean all the crap off my computer. Temp files, Bad Reg files ect...

Thanks

2. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

3. NLM

NLM Guest

Thanks I will give it a try.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ditto :) Great app

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah...looking forward to it. Should be good :)

6. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

guys, I'm not a great fan of the registry cleaners inless they're used prudently

you're best off using these programs to search the reg entries for programs that are no longer on your box, and, rather then the tool that finds dead entries

always use the backup tool when using these programs as well

when yu use the dead entry tool, you are going to find some 400 entries and more.

impossible to check every one of these entries, and then decide if you think it's worth the risk of deleting it

as I say, make sure you use the back up tool, and keep the file for a very long time

sometimes, you won't even know something is not functioning for months

ok

carry on

7. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

I would agree with Dealer here - I have used these tools and regretted it.

The only significant performance gain was the one I had after I re-installed XP...

8. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I used the new 1.4 jv16 and Hipster Doofus had to save my ass. I've been a big fan of jouni over the years with RegCleaner and jv16 but 1.4 cleared out a thread that caused my links out of email to not connect. (I didn't backup) I can't be exactly positive, but I'm 99% sure. Be careful.. I've just stuck with RegCleaner 4.3. I'm also a big fan of Windown Washer 4.8.

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/windowwasher/index.php

After surfing the web for an hour or so I run a cleaning with that with my additional plugins and I can clean out 5 to 10 MB of crap.