Alright, flat out question

WTF IS WRONG!?!?!

Alright, so i upgraded from an amd xp 2200+ to an amd xp 3200+

i let everything auto detect, windows fails to load
i set all the ratio's myself, windows fails to load
i underclock to just under a xp3000+ speed, works perfect

one thing i noticed, the temp of the cpu is up 30 degrees from the xp2200
was at 42 celcius, now it is at 72, only when clocked at a xp 3200
i use arctic silver, and i reseated the coolermaster jet 7, 3 times, so now what?

i think it fails to load cause of the cpu overheat protection. underclocking brings the temp down a to a point it doesnt die on me..
updated the bios, and all latest drivers installed.
I know i had everything set right. just didnt work right.

any suggestions,

Gigabyte ga-tn400 pro 2 mobo
xp3200 proc (someday)
ati radeon 9500 pro
1 gig crucial pc3200 DDR in Dual channel mode
audigy 2 soundcard
2x WD caviar 120 GB (stripe partitioned RAID 0)
sony cd burner and sony dvd rom

Are you sure your board supports it? The highest I see on gigabyte site (confusing site) is AMD AthlonXP 3000+(.13u) ... I could be wrong though ... I also couldn't find your board listed ... is that the correct model?

Make sure your heat sink is seated properly. That's the problem I had. I could have swore that I did it right the first time but it still wasn't seated right.

Could the MoBo model possibly be GA-7N400 Pro2?

[edit]
Also make sure that the CPU FSB / Multiplier / Vcore Voltage are correct.

You may want to clear the CMOS. The most common way is to use the jumper on the motherboard. Now make sure you move the jumper (to clear and back to it's normal possition) with the power OFF and the power cord unplugged from the PSU.

Now when you clear the CMOS you'll likely see the error message "CMOS Checksum Error, press F1 to continue" or "CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded" when you reboot. You can enter the BIOS setup at this point or before and check on the CPU settings and also reconfigure your BIOS settings.

The other way to clear it is to remove the CMOS battery from the MoBo. But when you remove the battery it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 8 hours for the CMOS to loss it's settings.

Yeah, I think the current range of AMD mobo's by Gigabyte support AthlonXP 3000+ (0.13). However, the site doesn't mention the GA-7Nxxx mobo series at all. :(

clear your CMOS for sure because there is likely a setting which is buggering up your current cpu install and causing temps to go through the roof...

the correct fsb/mult settings for a 3200 are 200mhz fsb and x11 multiplier... does your board suppot 200mhz fsb? if its the 7N400 pro2 than yes it does... otherwise you might have a problem right there...

the temps you are getting are either from incorrect install or something else is going on... make sure you don't put TOO MUCH thermal paste because that can actually cause thermal problems, a little bit to cover the surface is enough...

as everyone has said ensure you have the proper bios's and drivers and what not for your motherboard installed to allow for support of the cpu...

wrt the heatsink... it sits only one way round properly... if you have it facing the wrong way improper contact will be maintained while it will still seem correct... believe me I have seen this often enough...

alright, update, bios updated correctly. it is a ga-7n400 pro 2 (rev. 2) sorry for the typo. as far as paste (artic silver 5), "only a grain of rice" is what i have on there, coverage is suffient. i have reseated the heatsink many times over and over( i even switched it around to make sure. as far as clock ratio's, i set those manually and let it auto detect, either way, it didnt work. I cleared the cmos, that didnt help either. the board does support the processor, just it doesnt work correctly.

update:
i emailed gigabyte and amd, and the company i purchased the processor from, all three suspect there is a problem with the L2 cache onboard the processor. So RMA'ing, here i come, if problem persists with the next one, ill have to see what happenes from there.

bump...

Any news yet toretto?

I'm dieing ta know. :D

No none yet, i wouldnt bet that i will know for a couple more weeks, as they wanted to test everything before they send me a new one, and their shipping is slow.

Many earlier gigabyte boards inc mine (GA7VAXP ) will not work @ 200MHZ X 11.and as mentioned support up to amd 3000+.only.
So I bought a 2800 Barton and overclocked to circa 3400 Mhz (180x12.5 =2256 Mhz.)
Also have a look at the latest version of free program FreshUI which has a processor/ display lock up prevention for 2400+ upwards, depending on video card , which works well on ATI Radeon 9200.

Tweakfiend said:
Many earlier gigabyte boards inc mine (GA7VAXP ) will not work @ 200MHZ X 11.and as mentioned support up to amd 3000+.only.
So I bought a 2800 Barton and overclocked to circa 3400 Mhz (180x12.5 =2256 Mhz.)
Also have a look at the latest version of free program FreshUI which has a processor/ display lock up prevention for 2400+ upwards, depending on video card , which works well on ATI Radeon 9200.

as fars as that fresh ui, it isnt for this computer that i generally use, i have many tho.

the computer that processor is going into has a radeon 9500. everything works perfect with the 2200+, just the 3200+ ****s up, and it supports the processor, being it is the only one with 200 fsb as i recal

Well everyone, the processor has arrived, and i have installed it. Works perfectly and the temps are at 45 degrees celcius, i guess it was just a defective processor

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back