Processor Upgrade

M

Mr Dead

Ok a couple of questions so here we go

1) I currently have a thunderbird 1400 which I can o/c to 1550 so
would I see a performance boost to justify the cost of upgrading to an Xp 1900 (the fastest my mobo can take)

2) I am cosidering getting a dual proc system seen as I do alot of dvd re-encoding can I use xp processors if i join the L5 bridges or do I have to go for the Mp version which seems far more expensive?

3) If I do go for the Xp1900 can I still increase the fsb even though the mobo only supports up to the 1900 processor?

MrDead, a dual processor system can actually slow down some pieces of software that werent written to take advantage of a dual CPU system. Bear this in mind.

You can OC the XP1900 to beyond 1900, but you wont be covered by the board manfacuturer warranty if there is one. You may also see stablity issuses if you OC to beyond the 1900 on a board that isnt designed to go beyond the XP 1900.

are you aboslutely sure your board only supports up to 1900+? you couldn't do a bios upgrade or anything to support a faster processor?

thats possible. My board didnt support more than 1100 when I got it, now I can do up tp 1500

Nope, unfortunately not. Ive flashed with the latest bios and 1900 xp is as fast as it will go. My mobo is a Qdi Legend Kudoz 7.

personally, i dont think its a good idea to upgrade since you already have a 1400. i'd go and buy more ram.

I allready have 512 mb ddr ram and my processor is the 266 version so the multiplier is already unlocked. So would I notice a big increase between an xp1900 and a thunderbird o/c to 1550 in video encoding using cinema craft encoder. Ive heard the SSE instruction set in the XP speeds things up a bit?

p.s. ive been offered £55 for my thunderbird and old heatsink so its only going to cost me £27 to upgrade to the xp1900 so I think im gonna have to give it a go. The same guy bought a gforce 4 mx440 which for some reason just wouldnt work on his system so he swapped it for my gforce 2 mx 400. May not be the best video cards out but still a good swap me thinks!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back