Processor running at slower speed than supposed.

Eproxus

Long gone and now back!
I've recently got myself an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1733 Mhz which I installed. The problem now is that it's only running at 1300 Mhz.

Trying to change this in the BIOS gets me a black screen at boot, and then I have to restart, just to see that the processor is back on 1300 Mhz. How do I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

OK, first of all, what brand/model motherboard do you have. And, how many, and what kind of RAM do you have (PC133, DDR2100, etc)? And it might help to know some of your other components too.

basically what is happening is that your motherboard is running at DEFAULT factory settings...

2100+ athlon has a clock multiplier or 13... and the default front side bus is 100mhz

do the math and 13 x 100 = 1300mhz which is the speed you are running at...

most mobo makers do this to accomodate older athlons and durons and may not change automatically to accomodate the newer processors...

what you are going to be looking to do is increase your FSB (front side bus) speed to 133...

NOTE

you HAVE to make sure that your motherboard supports the processor you have installed...

like scriptasylum said... please write down what your motherboard model is and exactly what you changed in your motherboard in order to try and rectify the "problem" you are experiencing..

cheers...

Thanks for the help guys!

By default you can select 'Manual' or non-manual, in non-manual there are 3 options.

1. 1300 Mhz
2. 1733 Mhz
3. 21?? Mhz (don't know the last digits)

Selecting 2 gives me the blackscreen. I didn't try 3 becuase of the chance of overheating :)

Motherboard manufacturer: ASUS
Motherboard Model: A7V333, w. KT333, 5PCI, 1AGP, 3DDR-DIMM USB2, Audio, SocketA, ATX

RAM chip 1: Original 512Mb DDR PC2700/DDR333 184pin 333MHz cas2.5 (AMD OK)
RAM chip 2: Original 256Mb DDR PC2700/DDR333 184pin 333MHz cas2.5 (AMD OK)

Thanks again!

somewhere in the bios you can select 100mhz or 133mhz for the frontside bus (fsb)... make sure 133mhz is selected. might also be listed as 200/266mhz... in which case, make sure 266mhz is selected.

Well, it's like this:

When selecting 133 and restarting, Windows (XP) won't load.
When selecting 130 and restarting, Windows won't load.
When selecting 120 and restarting, Windows loads.

that is extremely odd... I am not sure if there is a problem with your CPU or with your motherboard.. more than likely your motherboard then I suppose...

you do not have the option to increase the front side bus in 1mhz increments?

anyhow... use it @ 120 and contact ASUS tek to see if there are any problems with the A7V 333 boards and if there are bios updates for you to fix it...

you can try, if your friends have AMD thoroughbred or palamino CPU's to put them on your board and see if they run properly... or you can try your CPU on someone else board to see if it works...

just make sure your friends boards can support your CPU :)

Thanks again!

I can increase with 1's but I was lazy... :D

Anyway, if I try to change processor with my friend, I cannot break the motherboard, can I?

I think I'm gonna flash the BIOS too... did it on my old computer yesterday, it wasn't so bad. :)

like i said just make sure that your cpu is supported on your friends board...

but if you are flashing your bios try that out first and go from there...

:)

Ok, I will flash my BIOS first... then try with my friends mb. Thanks again, Sazar! I apreciate the help really much.

lol... don't sweat it... its my job...

actually there is a l'il monkey sitting on my shoulder holding me hostage @ gun point... forcing me to type these posts...

notty monkey...

Yeah, I thought it must be something like that :)

Otherwise it would be strange... :D

I tried the processor on another mb , and it didn't work there either. The mb I tested it on was exactly the same model. The processor that was on before I tested was also the exact same processor model, so it should work. But it didn't...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back