Processor problems again... :)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eproxus, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Eproxus

Eproxus Long gone and now back!

I'm trying to put a AMD 2200+ into my Asus A7V133 mb.
    I've flashed the BIOS, and at Asus's homepage it says that it should work after that, but I get a blackscreen at boot.

I figured that if I lower the clock frequency and the multiplier, I could test if it was the processor that is broke, or the mother board.

Then I wonder, which settings should be used for the frequency and the multiplier?

Say for example I want it running @ 1,2 Ghz (as my old processor did)...

2. Eproxus

And if I want it to run at 2 Ghz (which is its original speed)?

3. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Guest

You need to ask Asus, is your system set with Jumpers on the board or settings in the BIOS?

4. Eproxus

I've tried both, but nothing worked... is there any way to clear the CMOS memory? I couldn't find one in the manual.

Sent a mail to ASUS today...

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Guest

Clear the CMOS....take the battery out and power the system up.

Have you been able to test the CPU in a differernt board? I managed to kill mp Athlon XP 1900+ and all I got was a black screen, might be a dead CPU.....(but that is worst case)

6. Eproxus

Yeah, i've tested it... it works.

ASUS says it should work on the mb so I find this very strange...

One other thing, if I manage to get it work; on the mb the max setting for frequency is 12.5 x 133 = 1662.5 Mhz, does this means that even if I get this to work, I can't run higher than this?

7. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Guest

Yep, if your max is 12.5 * 133 then you won't be able to go any higher then the 1662.5 your quote...

I know this might be stating the obvious but you might need a new mobo.

8. Eproxus

Yes, I noticed that. They said that with rev 1.05 I can't use it, but with rev 1.05. (<-- notice the "trailing dot"). Damn ASUS...