probs installing winxp and winxp 64

Hi there, my friend is having a problem he has an asus a8n sli deluxe mobo and two 250gig sata's setup in raid 0 array. he has split this into 5 partitions. his main partition has win xp 32 bit on it and he wants to install xp64 on another partition. the problem is that when xp64 finishes installing and reboots he does not get the choice of which o/s to boot into, the pc automatically boots into the 32bit winxp which is already installed which is on drive C but on drive D where he tried to install xp64 there is only a partial installation.
any help would be appreciated.

thanks Colin

dont partition raid arrays trust me. i did and i paid for it later hehe. while i can be done your really not suppost too.

has he tried installing the 64 bit version then the 32 bit ?

Thanks for the reply guys, i'll certainly advise him not to partition his drives, and also to try and install winxp 64 bit first then xp 32 bit after.

thanks Colin

Last edited:
brodyhooperquint said:
Hi there, my friend is having a problem he has an asus a8n sli deluxe mobo and two 250gig sata's setup in raid 0 array. he has split this into 5 partitions. his main partition has win xp 32 bit on it and he wants to install xp64 on another partition. the problem is that when xp64 finishes installing and reboots he does not get the choice of which o/s to boot into, the pc automatically boots into the 32bit winxp which is already installed which is on drive C but on drive D where he tried to install xp64 there is only a partial installation.
any help would be appreciated.

thanks Colin

First and foremost, I agree that while you can, it's not best to partition anything in a RAID array, especially a RAID 0. BUT, since he is using RAID 0, and data integrity obviously isn't of importance (since there is no redundancy), it is possible. I would recommend, contrary to others, that you install WinXP 32-bit first, then 64-bit. When dual-booting, it is always rule of thumb to install the Legacy (older) version of the OS first, and then the newer ones. The reason why you want to do this, is because if you install 64-bit first, and then 32-bit it could overwrite your boot.ini and you would have real problems.

A few other points, make sure all partitions are NTFS. Once WinXP 32-bit is installed, boot into that OS. Insert the CD for WinXP-64 bit and follow the instructions from within windows. When it gets to the installation section, point to the other Partition, D: For example, and then once it's done it's thing, it will reboot and SHOULD continue. If not, boot back into WinXP 32-bit and check the settings to ensure you are getting the boot menu. You can do this by Right-Clicking My computer, go to the Advanced tab. Click "settings" under Startup and Recovery. At the top you will see system startup, that is where you can control if you see a menu, and you can also edit the boot.ini directly by clicking edit next to where it says "to edit the startup options file manually, click edit."

Good luck, hope that helps.

Thanks for all your help kcnychief. I'll be passing your message on to my friend.

Appreciated...Colin :)

If your friend can't select which OS to boot into at startup it sounds like he's missing the boot.ini file in C:\ which should look something like

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /fastdetect /

Be sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected and "Hide protected Operating System files" is UNchecked under Tools>Folder Options>View. If it's there he should check his BIOS settings for something hindering the OS selection menu. If it isn't there just copy+paste it into notepad and save as boot.ini to C:\ directory.

I used a Linux live distro CD called Xfld after I installed Xp Pro x32 to "resize" the C partition to 100GB, then used the Xp Pro x64 disk to install on the available space (130GB) and it wrote it's own boot.ini file in the process. Hope something here helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back