problems with remote network

ok here is the problem when im on my own wirless network i can remote into my computer.. but when im on someone else wirless network then i cant.. any ideas?

OK... you have really got to be more specific. What software are you using to remote? Are you trying to remote into your work or into the computer you are moving from network to network? If the second is the case I would say that the other networks do not have the ports open necessary for you to remote in.

if you're using a wireless router, make sure you're forwarding the port properly. Are you using VNC or Remote Desktop? forward port 3389 for Remote Desktop, 5900 for VNC. :)

wow i was vauge now that i re read that sorry. im using the built in remote desktop in Xp pro.. on both the host and the lap im running. awhile back i set up my desktop to use it and it only seems to work on comps on my own network... why would it work on this lap when its on my own network but not when its on a dif wirless conection? I know im still being vauge but im not infront of my desktop..

So basically what you're saying is - if the desktop and laptop are both on your network, RDC works fine, but if your laptop is on a different wireless network and tries to connect to the desktop, RDC fails?

If that's the case, it's because port forwarding isn't necessary unless you're connecting from outside the internal network. That's why the laptop is able to connect to the desktop when they're on the same internal network. What you need to do is setup port forwarding in your router configuration - forward TCP port 3389 to the IP address associated with the desktop. Then try connecting to it from a different network.

Thread Moved: Applications -> Networking

hmm it seems i allready had that set up from before. but i had a few things routing to wrong spot so.. we will see tomorrow. hehe.

hm ok no dice.. i have it set up to forward that port.. and its still not working but works fine on the network... could is be a windows firewall issue.

If it works when both machines are on the same network, I doubt it could be because Windows Firewall is blocking access. You can try disabling it temporarily to see if that's the cause though.

i might ust recore my comp this weekend.. i may have changed something a few months ago fiddling with it.. time to do it anyways.. on a side noet my VB class just got canceld because the TA coudnt open a door so... i get to go home.

do you think turning off nat would help this?... how much of a security risk would that be?

sraycoz said:
do you think turning off nat would help this?... how much of a security risk would that be?

If you turn off NAT you'll only be able to have one computer connected to the Internet. Plus it's a security issue.

Let's see if I get this right:

Attachments

• RD-chart.gif
    RD-chart.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 92
hmm.. maybe i didnt forward the UDP prot with the 3389 tcp.. man this is driving me nutts and im never around my comp long enough to mess with it.. and even then i cant check it actively.. hehe will ghet back to you when i have more.. and your diagram looked about right.

When you opened the port on your Windows XP Firewall, did you edit the Scope to allow only computers from the same subnet as you? If so that's your problem...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back