Problems with pixelated icons

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by _ronin, Aug 28, 2004.

1. _ronin

_ronin OSNN Addict

I've decided to abandone the easy way of doing it via third party software like Bee Icons and read that shell32.dll hack thread. It said even newbs can understand, lo and behold 30 minutes into it I was hacking away.

Problem is, my icons look jagged with large icons enabled. Am I stretching the icons beyond it's capability? I think mine are 128x128 if I'm not mistakened. It was part of a download of the Aqua set someone kindly offered a while back.

Ok, look at the harddrive and see how it pixelates. On normal size settings, with large icons turned off in the windows preference, it looks fine, but completely too small for me.

Comparison shots, first are jagged, second are not.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong,
    TIA

Attached Files:

2. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Icons will get pixelated when they are stretched past their maximum size. It is posible that the icons you are using do not go up to 128. I've seen many that only go to 48 and when they are set to large they get fugly ugly. You say that these icons are from some set. Look and see if you have the original package file they came in. Zip, Icon Packager, RAR, whatever. Usually there is a text file that acompanies them. Read it and see what size they go up to. Or get an icon viewer proggy and open up one of the suspect icons and see what size they izzz. :)

Good Luck.

3. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Ummmm... Also what resolution is yer DeskTop set to?

4. _ronin

_ronin OSNN Addict

I'm running 1280 x 1024. The zip/rar does not contain a readme, but they're the popular osx rip that apparently apple made a big fuss about.

Looking at the properties they do infact appear to be 128x128.

11mb file of the rar can be dowloaded here: http://www.osx-e.com/modules.php?modid=1&action=show&id=42