problems with CD drive

M

mcdruid

Hi - wasn't sure whether to put this in 'hardware' or 'drivers' but...

I recently re-installed my XP and have been busily putting everything back on.

However, my CD drive has started playing up.. it's a combo drive (see below), and it's reading CD-R's fine, and the DVD playing is working, but it will not read from any 'bought' CD's.

If I put a 'bought' CD (eg. the CD with my webcam software and drivers on it) in the drive, the light comes on and the motor powers up, but nothing is found on the CD. No autoplay, no files found if the CD is explored etc..

I know it's not really a hardware problem, as the CD-R and DVD discs I've tried have worked fine, and I've got Win2000 on dual boot, and the same discs that XP won't read work fine under 2000.

I suppose it's likely to be something that I've installed that has upset XP, but I can't think what it is at all - I've not put anything on which wasn't on before I re-installed - when the drive worked fine.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks,

Try reinstalling the drivers for that device. It sounds as though they are screwed up somehow.

My PC (ShitBox) Windows XP Pro on a AMD AThlon XP 1800+ with a Volcano 7+ (With Speed Control) | ECS K7S5A Motherboard | 256 MB PC133 SDRam | Sony 16X DVD-ROM | 20x10x40x CD-R/RW | 15 GB Maxtor Hard Drive | Integrated SiS735 Onboard NIC | OnBoard SIS735 Integrated AC97 Audio Codec | Lexmark 1100 ColorJet Printer (Still Going Fine) | Gravis GamePad Pro | Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse | 15" Dayterk Monitor @ 1024*768*32 and 19 Television @ 800*600*32 on GeForce2 MX200 64MB Max Overclocked

As I lay in bed last night looking at the stars and the horizon, I suddenly thought to myself................................what the f**k happened the roof?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back