Problems while installing software (XP)

OS_Challenged

OSNN Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I have just installed XP Pro, and I am having a problem while installing software. At first I thought the problem was related to installing Service Pack 2 (SP2), but know I am not as sure.

While installing most software, from CD and downloads, the install process appears to hang, usually near the end of the process. Usually the install never technically finishes. The program is installed when I look for it in Start > Programs and more times then not the software runs fine.

When I go to Task Manager the status will vary, sometimes the install is listed as 'Running' and other times as 'Not Responding'. However, the process is always at zero, when the install appears to be hung, and does not change (at least not before I get impatient enough to kill the process).

As first I thought this was related to SP2, this was based on some tests I did by reinstalling XP and watching how long the installs would take before and after installing SP2. For example, I installed Opera 7 w/ Java, the Java install never technically finished (I waited for about 45 minutes), this was after installing SP2. After getting rid of SP2, the same install Java and Opera took less then 5 minutes. However, I am now experiencing the same issue without SP2, and have absolutely no ideas where to look.

Oh, I have tried these installs with the Anti-Virus enabled & disabled.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

This happend to me for reason which I dont know :). I would have to end all the installers with crtl+atl+del etc etc. The problem did go away with format, but in your case it came with a format, maybe it has to do with tweaking stuff? Have you changed any settings at all?

Do all of these installations use the same installer? If so, then you might want to look into that a bit more.

OS_Challenged said:
...at least not before I get impatient enough to kill the process...

HMMmmmmm with this in mind have you ever gone away and left it for a TRULY generous period of time to be sure? There are a couple of things here that may occur, one is registry processing on the install which can take a notoriously long time depending on how "fresh" your install is and how "cluttered" your registry may be. Another more simple thing is that I have sometimes found dialog boxes for install processes popping "under" other windows - so be sure there is not one awaiting your response.

As an example I was recently going throuhg a USB webcam install and I could swear it took about FIVE MINUTES to update the registry on an XP3000+ system!

Anyway, post back if this does not help - I am sure we should be able to get to bootom mof this.....

zeke_mo said:
This happend to me for reason which I dont know :). I would have to end all the installers with crtl+atl+del etc etc. The problem did go away with format, but in your case it came with a format, maybe it has to do with tweaking stuff? Have you changed any settings at all?

Nope, no tweaking. I really haven't gotten that far. These are clean drives, well as clean as a format will do. I'm in the process of restoring data I was able to salvage and burn to a DVD.

muzikool said:
Do all of these installations use the same installer? If so, then you might want to look into that a bit more.

I have no idea, nor do I have even the beginnings of an idea how to find out.

Suggestions???

Mainframeguy said:
HMMmmmmm with this in mind have you ever gone away and left it for a TRULY generous period of time to be sure? There are a couple of things here that may occur, one is registry processing on the install which can take a notoriously long time depending on how "fresh" your install is and how "cluttered" your registry may be. Another more simple thing is that I have sometimes found dialog boxes for install processes popping "under" other windows - so be sure there is not one awaiting your response.

As an example I was recently going throuhg a USB webcam install and I could swear it took about FIVE MINUTES to update the registry on an XP3000+ system!

Anyway, post back if this does not help - I am sure we should be able to get to bootom mof this.....

Actually yes, yesterday before leaving for work I started a Windows Update, that I downloaded manually (not with the Auto Update), and it was still running when I got home, that would have been about 9 hrs. This didn't even get half way through. Usually though the install would hang near the end, I think this is when the registry files are getting written, but I really do not know for sure.

Seems like windows installer is corrupt.

I get this on some install files, 2.11.15.0 that version does install eventually where as 4.0.100.1124 is fine.

All I can say is, try windows update and see if you have installed all current updates.

Failing that, you could hunt for a replacement, or find someone who will find you the beta version currently being used by beta testers.

Now, with all of your questions answered, and thank you for them. I do appreciate the response. I think (the jury is still out on this) I may have fixed the problem.

I was having a problem where I could not get the properties of a folder, not the file(s) but folder, would not display. Searching the web I found a solution (if you are interested in the solution look here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict12333.html). In a nutshell I had to get a service World Wide Web Publishing to start. Since fixing this, every one of my installs have completed as one would thin they should.

You linked to there to link back here? lol. Good find tho. Tis a good thing :p

LOL!!!! I guess I did. I couldn't remember where I found the solution. Too funny.

That's me, Professional Scatterbrain.

Edit: Woops, I guess I missed the post where you said you fixed the probleml... oh well...

Try this and let me know if it helps...

Before you do all this:

1. Close ALL programs including all tray applications
2. Start/Run %temp%, delete everything
3. Start/Run %tmp%, delete everything

Then...

1. Create a new folder on your drive that has the most space and call it Temp. Then make sure the folder's permissions (if not using simple file sharing) gives full control to user Everyone.
2. Right-click My Computer, then go to Properties
3. Go to Advanced and click on Environment variables
4. In the User Variables section, change the value of both the TEMP and TMP variables to the folder you created.
5. In the System Variable section, do the same for the TEMP and TMP variables.

* This will basically point all temp files to the same folder, easier to clean up and manage.

6. Go here and download/install the latest version of the Windows Installer, which technically is the same that was installed when you installed SP2, but will reinstall it.
7. Open the Task Manager and switch to the Processes tab and sort by CPU in decreasing order (biggest on top), then move aside but leave on top.
8. Test it all with a new program install, and watch the task manager for any CPU spikes... If it slows down again, watch what's the name of the process and report it here.

Hope that helps...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back