Problems Installing XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Eck, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Eck

Eck .user

On the system I've sold (eck.cjb.net), I'm having a little trouble with XP. First, I got XP installed and everything was good. Then I installed the VIA 4.49 Hyperions and XP started crashing. I figured it was the drivers. I coulnd't try to uninstall the drivers or XP would crash. It seems like it would crash every 10 minutes or so, or if you tried to do something in windows -- for example, reading files on a CD-ROM, or viewing system information.

I never did turn off the "automatically restart" under "system failure" to see what it was saying. I figured it was just the VIA drivers so I was going to do a format. It formatted fine, but then when XP went to copy files I had trouble. It got to 29% or so and said "the file copied does not match the source file". I though it was a fluke so I restarted and tried to copy again. Same thing happens, around 29 or 30%, but with a different file. This time I did "skip file" and it might copy a file or two, but then it would have the same thing. I just kept skipping files and finally it blue-screened. It said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I've seen that before, but can't remember how I fixed it.

I tried re-copying the files a few more times, but I would get the IRQL error, but every now and then I got some "PAGEFILE_NOT something". I can't remember exactly what it said, but something to do with the pagefile... and it had the word "not" in there somewhere.

BAH, I'm stuck. I can't figure out what the deal is. My XP CD doesn't have any scratches, so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas would be helpful.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

pull a stick of ram, sounds like a bad stick, mabey dodgy cpu ?

least u got 2 sticks of ram to test with.

3. Eck

Eck .user

The CPU is brand new, I doubt it could be bad.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

never doubt.

5. coolspot

coolspot Guest

go to www.viaarena.com and post in their help forums.

i've seen other people have your problem and i'm sure you can be helped by them, i'm sure it's a problem with your via 4-in-1 drivers as i troll those boards from time to time and i've seen a few people have your problem before.

6. Eck

Eck .user

YEah, but that wouldn't explain why XP wouldn't install after a format.

7. Alucard-O

Alucard-O Guest

I've had this kind of problem a little while ago when i was building a PC for a friend of mine . The OS installed succesfully the first time but then something went wrong and i had to reformat
    After that the OS refused to install , it gave me all kind of error messages . In the end it had to do with bad RAM and when i replaced it everything was fine.

You should first check your RAM and then everything else. Sounds like a hardware problem.

8. Eck

Eck .user

Alright, I'll mess around with the RAM. I know it's possible, but is it normal for RAM to just go bad all by itself, or is it more like ESD that causes it to go bad?

9. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Try this: install XP to a partition of less than 2 GB, then when everything is installed, resize it with Partition Magic. I don't know why it works, but it always has for me.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

either. i sat at work and my server went blank. next smoke. pulled the plug & the middle stick of ram had decided to blow up. killed the slot it was in, pulled it out and the server rebooted as if nothing had happend :confused:

11. coolspot

coolspot Guest

12. Eck

Eck .user

I took out a stick of RAM and XP installed fine and all is good. XP doesn't crash, but every game I try to play does. I made a thread about this problem. Argh. Maybe the stick that's still in there is bad?