Problems after BIOS update

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gorideabike, May 27, 2002.

1. gorideabike

gorideabike Guest

tried to flash the bios for my Gigabyte motherboard. I used the utility that came with the motherboard and is accessable in the bios setup screen. I made a backup of the present bios and installed the new bios. My computer would not boot up and the hard drive was not detected. I reinstalled the old bios and things were back to normal...or at least I thought they were back to normal. Now I've had several system crashes and I can no longer run any of the benchmark programs. I had the fsb set up to 150 and things were perfectly stable before I tried the upgrade. I set the fsb back to 133, but that makes no difference now.
    Does anyone have a suggestion to fix my problems?
    Gigabyte GA-7ZXE

Athlon 1.33 Ghz

256 MB

Radeon 7500

WD 30 GB hd

Windows XP Home Edition

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Did you do the upgrade using windows or a boot floppy?
    Have you made changed in the BIOS?

3. gorideabike

gorideabike Guest

I used the q-flash bios update program that was included with the motherboard. I downloaded the latest bios version from the Gigabyte website and unzipped the file to a floppy disk. I entered the bios settings page to update the bios so I never got to Windows....

4. Gouk

Gouk Guest

gorideabike, you have exactly the same mobo as me ;)

I updated my BIOS to the latest "7ZX_FG" by unzipping the bios to a bootable floppy (format in XP and then Create an MS-DOS startup disk) and then unzipping the AMIFLASH BIOS flasher which is at the GigaByte website. I then created a batch file with the commands which is a standard txt document with the extension named to bat then I booted into DOS mode via the floppy and then put this command in:

a:\flash.bat

The AMIFLASH then flashed my bios and then when I reset my system I got a CMOS Checksum Error . I have always got that message after flashing this board. I then go into the bios and then Load Optimised Defaults and then reset the PC again.

Now the CMOS error is gone and I enter the bios again this time setting the parameters to my liking and then save and exit.

Doing the above resulted in a perfect flash.

Hope this help coz I typed this fast coz I m in a rush :D