Problem with Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jz1397-5, May 29, 2005.

1. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

I recently bought a new laptop (HP zd8000) and I love the thing. I bought it with Home Edition and then reformatted and installed my own legally bought from Staples Professional edition. The zd8000 has a broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card installed, and i have a linksys WRT54G router. The wired internet with the laptop works, however the wireless does not connect to the outside internet. I inistally thought that this was a problem with the hardware, but when the wireless is on (and the wired connection is not plugged into the laptop) i can connect to the router and acess the status page, as well as acess a local FTP on another machine on my local network, but i cannot view any non-local webpages i.e. google. This was happening when i pulled the machine out of the box and after i reformatted too. Is there a certian setting i need to have on in the router or on the laptop? thank you so much for any help.

2. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

forgot to mention: i tried turning the windows firewall on and off without any luck, and also there is no WEP (abviously because i could connect to it and view the status)

3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Your getting assigned all the proper ips right? like gateway and DNS.

4. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Do you have a manual network address setup? If you do it sounds like you dont have a DNS set. If you have DHCP on, try looking around in the settings for anything that has an option for both wireless and wired. Why not check for new router firmware too :). Also, make sure you dont have a phone in use or a microwave going when you try to connect. Sometimes 2.4Ghz routers dont get along well with those :).

5. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

Yeah, it sounds like DNS to me. The fact you can connect to the router, but just cant get any further says to me that there is no hardware fault. Otherwise you wouldn't have connected to the router :p
    Check in the properties of the wireless nic, particularly the TCP/IP properties. If you are using DHCP on the router make sure that the ip is set to obtain one automatically, and to obtain dns information automatically.
    I am not familiar with linksys hardware so i dont know if there would be any additional configuration in the router setup, but i had this issue just last week with my 3com setup. All i had to do was change the DNS information in properties like suggested above :)

good luck.

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Also make sure that you're not stuck in the DMZ.

7. Admiral Michael

DMZ is to bypass the routers "protection" I dont think this is the problem.

8. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

hey guys, thanks for the replies. I have checked the settings and everything is on obtain DNS and IP automatically, so I am unsure of what else to do. The problem is still here, and while connected to the router, i can edit information, however i cannot access the outside internet.

9. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

i don't want to change it to assigned IPs because i would have to set every computer on my network, and I don't think its worth it. I have another laptop (802.11b) and it works fine. I switched between B-only and G-only broadcasting, and still had no luck. i am getting frustrated, however this is not a hardware problem at all because i can get a connection, maybe it is just the TCP/IP that needs to be removed and re-installed, but even that wouldn't do it.

10. Admiral Michael

11. Admiral Michael

Also, can you ping anything outside your LAN? (like google.ca)

Jz1397-5 likes this.
  12. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

it was a winsock problem, thanks so much for that. i am curious though, what is a winsock and what did i actually do by resetting it?

13. Admiral Michael

Taken from webopedia:

So from what I gather it allows programs (such as IE) to communicate with the TCP/IP. Maybe something was messed when it cane to traffic outside you LAN.