Problem with saving .gif images

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mrs. Yoda, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Mrs. Yoda

Mrs. Yoda Guest

Hi all,
    As a Windows XP user I came across this Forum and I hope you can help me out.

If I want to save (by right-clicking on a Gif image) I can't save the images as a .gif image.
    When I rightclick on the image the pop-up I get says: "image name":
    and under this there's "save image as": BMP*.
    And that's THE problem, I can't change that BMP* into anything else. Not into JPEG, Not into GIF, only BMP*.
    Can somebody please tell me what I can do to fix this???

Thanks a 1,000,000
  2. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Ah, I don't know if I fully understand (not too bright myself), but if the image you want to save is a .GIF on a webpage, you should be able to right-click on it and choose "Save Picture As..." and a box will pop up asking where you want it saved. At the bottom of this box is a "Save As Type:" drop down with options as to which picture format you can choose.

It's native format should always be one of the options (70% of the time it is a .JPG and .BMP is always the other option)

So unless the picture on the webpage is in fact a .GIF, you won't be able to save it as .GIF unless you save it to your computer in any other format and use PhotoShop etc to convert it to .GIF

Now if it really is a .GIF on the webpage, and you still can't save it, then I have no idea...

Good Luck!
  3. Lukas

Lukas Real Name No Gimmicks

simple test

To try that, try saving Herkalees' avatar (that big, funny, yellow smiley :D ). If the problem persists, I have no clou what-so-ever. If you can save the smiley as a gif image, that means that the images you were trying to save before, weren't gif's. Let us know.