problem with new boot screen

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ruiner_066, Jun 24, 2003.

1. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

i just changed the boot screen on my laptop, which has xp home on it. i changed it the same way i always do- back up ntoskrnl.exe, boot to safe mode with cmd prompt & overwrite it with the new one. now it gets all the way through the new boot screen, but then it blue screens with this error:

STOP: c000032a {fatal system error}
    The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000263 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    the system has been shut down.

same thing happens when i try to boot to safe mode. how can i fix this/ prevent it from happening?

edit: ok i replaced the new file with the backup using windows recovery console, but i really like this boot screen, is there a way i can still use it? did i miss a step? it it just corrupt? thx in advance

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

There was a lot of talk about the ntoskrnl.exe a few months ago. Try doing a forum search & see what that turns up. It is fixable.

3. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

hm, i found a lot of related stuff, but nothing that solves my problem. i tried using bootxp to change it, but that makes that menu pop up that asks which version of windows you want. there is the original windows xp, & then a backup copy, or something that bootxp put in there. is there a way to make it so this menu doesnt pop up every time?