Problem with movie maker in vista

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by zeke_mo, Sep 11, 2008.

1. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Just a problem I have been having with imported .avi files; for some reason the video part of the file is not showing up but the audio is. In the preview box the screen is black and when I drag the clip to the timeline the audio is the only part that is transfered. I have downloaded gspot to make sure I have the proper codecs installed, and everything checks out. I have done tons of searching on the subject and cant seem to find a solution that works. Any ideas would be great, thanks ahead!

Oh, using x64 and a 8800 ultra

Here is a pic of the g-spot reading of the file in question. It is all AVI files I try to import though. Currently using the "latest" FFdshow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

click on the boxes at the bottom - proposed codec solutions and tests

that should help it render and give you more output on the file

3. zeke_mo

The video playback is just fine using any player and G-spot does not give me any errors or anything. This has been a long time problem for me on just about all my vista installs I have had, nothing like a problem with a PC to anger you!

4. Dark Atheist

maybe movie maker doesnt like ffdshow, you could try installing xvid - if you havent already

edit: after checking i see it says opendml - which xvid should play

seems vdubmod saves it to this as default, try running it through vdubmod or vdub and saving it as old avi (legacy) see if that works for you

zeke_mo likes this.
  5. zeke_mo

I manged to import the video!!! The strange thing is that movie marker used to take any AVI I would throw at it, it leads me to think its a codec problem but I am using all the same codecs I always have. The fraps videos I would record in-game were AVI files and I used to convert them to wmv all the time, now I cant even import them.(wow I just tried it import a fraps video and it worked, im going back to bed)

Thanks for the help carpo, you're my hero :p

6. Dark Atheist

glad you got it working :)