problem with deleting partitions (xp)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by allbusiness, Aug 30, 2003.

1. allbusiness

allbusiness Guest

Ok, I have WinXP SP1 installed. My drive is an IBM 180GXP 180 gig. It is one giant partition. I've been trying to reformat to get rid of the slowdown that has been coming over my computer but I when I boot from my XP setup disk and try to delete my one partition (so I can reformat/set up XP again), Setup denies it and says that the temporary setup files it is using are on that partition, so it cannot delete the partition. How can I get around this?

Thanks in advance.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

get acronis partition expert, or powerquest partition magic, and use their bootdisks. it's much easier.

3. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

Can't you just boot to your XP CD and reformat during the install? You can create partitions then as well.

4. allbusiness

allbusiness Guest

OK, what I see during the install is this:

Option to set up WinXP - Enter - I select this
    Option to repair with recovery console - R
    -----------
    Option to Repair current installation
    Option to install fresh copy in C:\Windows - I select this
    -----------
    Select the only partition to install to
    -----------
    Setup tells me installing 2 OS on 1 HD is not reccomended
    -----------
    Setup tells me a Windows folder already exists, asks if it should delete the existing installation and use Windows. If I select this it reinstalls windows without formatting.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You have to delete the drive (partition) first then install xp. If you select install fresh copy that is all it will do.......copy it over the top.

Once deleted you should be able to cut the drive into smaller partitions if you want.

Don't know why it says installing 2 OS is not recommended. I don't have any grief.

6. I had the same problem a month ago or so and all i did was get a win 98 boot disk and add a little program to it that a fellow ntfs"er gave me and i deleted it that way and it worked for me. I dont know if my original post is still up but the info was on there. If all else fails I could find it and send it to you.

http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=337514#post337514

7. allbusiness

allbusiness Guest

allright, I got a set of XP boot disks off of Microsoft.com and installed using them instead of the CD. For some reason the format option appeared when I selected the partition this time. Thanks for your help guys (mods feel free to lock/delete this if you wish)