private messages

Discussion in 'Site Problems & Feedback' started by Perris Calderon, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

well, when the window informing me I have a private message pops up, and then asks me to open in a new window, and I click yes, the provate message should come right up, not my private message page, which I then have to click on the private message.

also...hehe...I have to turn off scripted blocking on my adsheild when I come to the forum, otherwise, these pop ups are blocked in the first place...but there's nothing you can do about that, but if it's possible, when the notification is clicked, it should bring you right to the message, and not the pm page

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Don't you have to click cancel if you want it to open. :confused:

3. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Hipster:
    No, perris is right. Mine hasn't work for ages either. I've mentioned it but EP and Md have more important things to deal with atm.

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Should come up? The default of vbulletin has exactly the same behaviour, I haven't touched the templates that create it. It does exactly what it should.

5. Electronic Punk

Also, if someone is using adblocking software, why would I wanna write an extra function so it works right fo rthem when they ain't supporting the site by downloading the ad, not pointing fingers, just an argument that occured to me ;)

6. Perris Calderon

no, I don't want you to write anthing special for the add blocking software, I was just poining it out...it actually took me a while to figure that out when I first came to this board, I thought something was wrong with the script.

ok, when I say the message should come up, I meant that that would be the practical behavior, i didn't mean that that is the default behavior.

if the pm came up instead of the pm message page, that would be one less call to the server, plus, more convenient for the users, that's what I meant by "should"

anyway, you're kinda kranky today...just wake up?

7. Electronic Punk

I have had less sleep than usual. just over 4 hours.
    Those folks as jelsoft don't really like to include functions that are not used in the way that they release vbulletin.

8. Perris Calderon

aha...and I know exactly why you're getting such little sleep...it's because of this;

allan is trying to climb into bed with you, that's why[​IMG]

9. Electronic Punk

He is an ICQ contact and suggested it while we were chatting last night. He is married btw.

10. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Dealer, wouldn't there be a call to the server anyway to get the PM and put it up in the Pop-Up Window?

11. Perris Calderon

no, the call is already made, and sends me to the pm page, where I have to make another call to the message

the same call that sends me to the pm page would, should could, (hehe) send send me to the message, and save one call

12. gonaads

Then there wouldn't be any extra calls to the server then, one way or another... Yes there would.

Errrr.... never mind. :)

13. Perris Calderon

one extra call teh way it stands, but md, or ep will tell the both of us which is correct.

good to see you, oh mighty satchel...

howz it go?

14. gonaads

Leaving to work as I type these last words of Fugistically Stagnant Vapor. :p

15. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Uh huh. [​IMG] Just as I thouhgt. wh0r3.