Printer Sharing.

D

DJC

I have two laptops on a small home network connected via a Linksys BEFSR41 router to a shared NTL Broadband connection. THis shared internet access works correctly.

The computer running XP Home is a P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory and a HP Deskjet 5150 USB printer - called, say, ComputerA

The one running XP Pro is a P2 366MHz with 128MB memory - called, say, ComputerB.

I have st up every thing for sharing on both computers and I can read/modify files on ComputerB from ComputerA BUT not visa versa. When I try to access files on ComputerA from ComputerB I am asked for a password.

Also when I try to access the printer on ComputerA from ComputerB it cannot be seen.

I imaging it is something to do with access going through the Administrator on ComputerA but that is as far as I can get.

Any help?

many thanks

By default, guest access in XP Home is disabled (unless you run the Home Networking Wizard at first setup). Thus, the machine will prompt you for a password everytime you attempt to connect to it. To fix this problem, enable guest access on ComputerA, or even better, run the home networking wizard (this will setup the appropriate permissions so that your sharing will be easier).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back