Printer Protection

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gocoolean, Mar 5, 2003.

1. gocoolean

gocoolean Guest

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how I would be able to restrict access to my printer.

My roommates are always using my computer to print documents and it's costing me a pretty penny in ink. I'm often not home and they just use my printer like it was their own.

I would like to know if there is any way I could password protect it or do anything to restrict access to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

you say your roommates are always using YOUR computer to print?? why not password your xp user? and disable the guest account and password the admin account as well

Apu

3. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

Disable File and Printer sharing. (Local Area Connection -> Right click -> Properties)

4. rjack22

rjack22 Guest

How about hiding the power cord or cable?

5. gocoolean

gocoolean Guest

Thanks for all your help ... this might be what I do ... either the cords or the ink cartridge.

I'm trying to minimize the changes I have to make and passwords would suck 'cause I'd have to enter it every time I start up ... this way I only have to insert the plug (or ink) only when I need to print which isn't too often.

Thanks again,

6. Singleman593

Singleman593 Guest

go to printer and fax in control panel > right click on your printer > go to properties > sharing and uncheck sharing this printer >apply > ok and thats it.

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

How smart are your roommates?

When I was at college I had a similar problem and solved it by disabling the printer in the device manager. They thought it was broken and all you have to do is reenable it when you want to print something.