printer install mess

W

wn van deursen

Halfway through installing a Brother HL1440 Laserprinter I discovered that the driver is not compatible with XP. (Also, the XP Wizard Install kept bleating through the whole process) I de-installed, and tried installing again from XP's point of view. At one time I got the notice that a file from the Brother cdrom was needed; please type the path... I tried anything related to Q:\ (my CDstation), but I'm not great on Pathology so I got no result. On the Brother website I found a drive designed for XP, I downloaded it, but now I don't know how to 'glue' the 27 equal-looking files (or one of them but which?) into the printer install process. I gave up and tried to remove anything from Brother from my DIR & Registry, but the balloon "New Hardware Found" keeps popping up... Is this Brother Printer such an ancient model that it can't work on XP?? Considering what I payed for it I certainly expected no problems here!

I've installed HL1440:s in XP myself so that is not a problem.
1. Download the XP driver from the Brother site.
2. Unpack it into a folder.
3. When the "New Hardware" pops up, point it to look in the folder you unpacked the drivers in (or a subfolder, whichever contains the .inf file).
4. Select HL1440 in the list.
5. Windows installs the drivers. It may complain a little. ;)
6. Voila!

re printer install mess

Zedric, one more question:
Printer works now, and not through your directions but by simply using the Brother cdrom again, and a parallel connection i.o. the usb that comes with the machine, don't know it that did the trick.
Installation actually ran like a cossack fig through an old granny to quote Terry Pratchett and actually I didn't know what to do with this extraspecial XP driver. I gave it a click anyway, something got during a second in gear but nothing else happened. But now everytime when I prompt a doc for printing the message appears: "There's not enough space on your harddisk, make room". A simple OK makes it go away. In the meantime the print's lying there already. So why do I get this warning? (I checked Properties to see if space on C:\ is crowded, but it isn't)

I had a similar problem with another printer, HL1250 I think (very similar). If I used the driver on the CD it said Coding Incompatible or something everytime I printed. But it still printed. This could be a similar thing. Uninstall the driver and install the printer again using the XP driver from the homepage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back