Printer chaos!

Zedric

NTFS Guru
I have a (small) corporate network with 10 XP computers and one Caldera Linux server. All the XP machines use two printers connected to a printer server on the network. They are both installed as Local Printers using not LPT1 but a TCP/IP port thingy. The problem is that all the XP machines find these printers on all the other XP machines and install them. This means that the Printer Dialog contains something like this:

Brother 1030
OkiPage
Brother 1030 on PC2
OkiPage on PC2
Brother 1030 on PC3
OkiPage on PC3
Brother 1030 on PC4
OkiPage on PC4
Brother 1030 on PC5
and so on...

You see the problem? How do I turn this "feature" off?

Simply disable printer sharing on all the machines ant that will fix it.
I´m at work right know and don´t have a XP machine here so I can´t guide you thru it but I´m pretty sure that if you right click on your printer and select properties and then sharing and deseltect sharing it will do the trick. And you have to do this on every machine....:(

If I have missguided you how to do it, give me a pm later on and I will get back to you when I´m home again.

Open the Folder Options control panel, under the View tab, uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers." Its the first choice at the top

JJB6486

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back