Print via FTP

P

Powerchordpunk

Ok so for my machine, the command prompt to print a simple .txt document called test.txt is:

C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe /pt "C:\test.txt" "HP DeskJet 722C" "UNIDRV.DLL" "LPT1:"

I have an account for my ftp server with execute enabled. Now what do I need to do to print files remotely? Can I use a client that has an execute option, or command line ftp? Thanks.

so your trying to print to your computer from a remote location right?...why not use remote desktop? thats what i use.

oDin.

I think I can only connect to other xp computers. Besides, I would mainly be using it on 98-NT4 machines.

nope you should be able to connect to your own machine. you will need to allow traffic throught port 3389 on your firewall, if you have one. the remote desktop client can be used on any 9x, nt, 2000 or xp machine. as far as i know you can't print with ftp. ftp stand for File Transfer Protocol. its just for uploading and downloading files.

oDin.

um...

um...according to what microsoft says, to do remote desktop server you have to have pro. of course, that is what microsoft says, so it may be wrong. if it is, please - how do you set it up?

Theres another way - I believe it can be done over IIS (share the printer on the web, then connect to it from a remote machine, e.g. install "http://www.lyv.org.au/private/printer/hplaser5p"), then print like that?

Re: um...

Originally posted by evanbro
um...according to what microsoft says, to do remote desktop server you have to have pro. of course, that is what microsoft says, so it may be wrong. if it is, please - how do you set it up?

Ok, I'm not at my XP machine at the moment, but from memory, you do need Pro, and you can allow people to connect to you under System Properties > Remote Connections (sorry if that's wrong, my memory is a bit hazy at the moment - I'll come back and edit this if I'm grossly out).

If you're on an NT machine, you can use Terminal Services to connect to the host machine. You can also dump the XP CD into a client machine to install the remote desktop utility, for connecting to the host machine.

To use remote desktop, the host machine must not actually be in use, and if it is, the user that is on it will be shoved back to the login screen. If they log back on, then the remote user will be disconnected.

serv-u allows printing by ftp, so you can send documents to LPT1: and it will print them. I never got that to work, as the documents came erroneously (without title or data) to the print spooler. I have contacted serv-u support on this issue, but i know you can execute programs on the server machine (if that function is enabled) but I just don't know how.

serv-u support says to create a batch file that runs a command line then uploading it and executing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back