Prescott = crap?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Goatman, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

I've been doing alot of reading about Prescott, and it seems that it's going to be one of those things that doesn't deliver.

First off the first versions of it may not be 90 NM like they were supposed to be, also, in the lab the CPUs are creating 103 watts of heat, and Intel has had to boost the required Amperage, on the power supply circuitry, that means alot of current motherboards won't even support it.

What do you Intel fans think of this?

There are also rumours that we may see a 90 NM version of the Athlon XP.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If it won't work, it's bad. But I'm sure theyll be able to cut down on the power before it's ready to deliver.

And for the rumours about a 90nm Athlon, there were rumours about AMD64 comming soon over a year ago.

I don't heed much to rumours. They're seldom true anyway. I'm sure the AMD64 will kick a$$ when it comes and that the Prescott will work out fine. :)

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

The Athlon XP going to 90nm is quite possible, but the fact that XP's lifeline is soon coming to an end will make it unlikely.
    However, there was news that AMD are extending the life of Duron and Athlon XP in some asian countries using the 90nm design (in limited quantities only).

4. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Quote: "I've been doing alot of reading about Prescott, and it seems that it's going to be one of those things that doesn't deliver."

Did you read that in the Barney Rubble handbook of micro processors?:D