PProblem with Windows UpDate

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by amic, Apr 11, 2002.

1. amic

amic OSNN Junior Addict

I'VE USED THE UPDATING SITE - PROBLEMS FREE - UNTIL April 7 - every thing worked well & smooth..

I tried to log to-day & ALL OF A SUDDEN !!! WAS ASKED TO :
    " install " window update control v4 "

I ACCEPTED & FAILED TWICE GETTING
    " WINDOW UPDATE ERROR " SCREEN

MY SECURITY ( I.E 6 ) IS SET TO "MEDIUM LOW " & I'M NOT USING ANY FIRE BALL

what can be done to fix this problem ???

2. allan

allan Guest

Wasn't that a James Bond movie? Oh no - sorry. That was Thunderwall.

Anyway, my guess is that it's just an intermittent error. If I were you I'd keep trying - if it was working before it will probably update eventually....especially since I haven't seen any other complaints about this in the past week.

3. amic

amic OSNN Junior Addict

ADDITIONAL INFO FROM UPDATE SITE :
    THE ERROR CODE IS : (0x3)

4. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

Microsoft will put a fix out soon (hopefully lol), I've seen this problem at many sites.

5. allan

allan Guest

oops - sorry, I haven't seen it anywhere and the update installed easily on my system the other day.

6. amic

amic OSNN Junior Addict

to ALLAN -re : no compains last week "
    I'VE VISITED MICROSOFT PUBLIC HELP FORUM - THERER ARE ABOUT 15 SIMILAR COMPLAINS SINCE Apr 7...!!!

ANY PRACTICAL SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM ????

7. cyberphox

cyberphox Guest

I work tech support for Microsoft dealing with exclusively Windows XP Home and Pro and I swear sometimes I think they put out these windows updates to keep me in business. LOL.
    Seriously i have noticed a few calls come in where people's computers were running fine until the downloaded updates.

8. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

wow, a real, live, microsoft techie guy:D ...stick around bro...i wanna talk to you lol

9. Oldbridge

Oldbridge Guest

Windows update

Same error here. Since 4/7 no longer works. Same error message, i.e. 0x3

10. cyberphox

cyberphox Guest

Re: ...

I've been lurking forever but since I got this job it is amazing the resources I find here as opposed to using the Knowledge Base or calling a MS mentor

11. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

I too had this problem on a clients machine
    Luckily i save all my windows updates so i updated the machine using them
    the few that i didnt have, specific driver updates for that machine i needed of windows update
    lsat night, i went there, even though i had been to windows update previously, it asked to have that v4 thing downloaded.

i did but it would just stall

works now though

12. Valek

Valek Guest

Oooooo...Cyberphox....I second that motion to stick around. Nice to meet you.

13. amic

amic OSNN Junior Addict

PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS UPDATE

ACCORDING TO " WINDOWS UPDATE.LOG " ( IN X:\WINDOWS DIRECTORY ) MY TO-DAY'S PROBLEMS ARE

QUOTE :

2002-04-13 16:01:20 Success IUCTL Shutting down
    2002-04-13 16:01:22 Success IUCTL Starting
    2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL Downloaded iuident.cab from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab
    2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL IUEngine on Server is newer version (5.4.2600.40)
    2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL Checking to see if new version of Windows Update software available
    2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL IUCtl needs update to 5.4.2600.40
    2002-04-13 16:16:51 Success IUCTL Shutting down
    2002-04-13 17:35:30 Success IUCTL Starting
    2002-04-13 17:35:30 Success IUCTL Shutting down
    2002-04-13 17:35:31 Success IUCTL Starting
    2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL Downloaded iuident.cab from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab
    2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL IUEngine on Server is newer version (5.4.2600.40)
    2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL Checking to see if new version of Windows Update software available
    2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL IUCtl needs update to 5.4.2600.40
    2002-04-13 18:38:54 Success IUCTL Shutting down

UNQUOTE

AS A MATTER OF FACT MY " IUIDENT.TXT " IN THE :

G:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4 FOLDER SHOWS v 5.4.2600.40

BUT !!!!

THE ACTIVE X CONTROL - ON WHICH THE WIN UPDATE DEPENDS i.e " update class "
    HAS THE " OLD VERSION " i.e 5.4.2600.15 I ( IN SPITE OF LOGGING TO THE UPDATE SITE
    WITHOUT ANY \V4 FOLDER ....( I'VE DELETED IT MANUALLY " )

THE ABOVE ACTIVE X " UPDATE CLASS " HAVE DEPENDENCY TO 3 FILES :

IUCTL.DLL ; IUCTL.INF & IUENGINE.DLL ALL OF WHICH ARE STILL !!!!
    THE 5.4.2600.15

IN OTHER WORDS THE MS' UPDATING SITE FAILED \ DID'T MANAGE TO UPGRADE MY
    SYSTEMS ITEMS TO THE NEW XXXXX .40

ANY IDEAS HOW TO PROCEED FROM HERE ???? !!!!!!

14. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Yes I was having those problems too and it was piss** me off it all started with 2 updates that would not install and then the famous new scaning engine crap, I decieded it was time for a cleanup anyways so I saved all my good stuff and formatted and reinstalled from scratch ( i was bored) lol anyhow after I did that I went back and everything worked fine ..... plus I really wanted to see if there was any change clean install with my new video card and new sound card .....I must have tried 30 times to install the updates trying everything I could think off .....now its all working great .......

15. Oldbridge

Oldbridge Guest

Windows update solved

Did copy those 2 files you mentioned IUCTL.DLL ; IUENGINE.DLL from a good machine (version 5.4.2600.40) into c:\windows\sytems32 and also replaced IUIDENT.TXT " IN THE c:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4 FOLDER with v 5.4.2600.40 and now it works.

16. amic

amic OSNN Junior Addict

OLDBRIDGE's message -seems to be -for time being - the only solution .. !!!

can somebody help in prviding inf
    WHERE CAN I GET / DOWNLOAD THESE FILES ????

thanks

17. amic

amic OSNN Junior Addict

to OLDBRIDGE's message :

it worked as well for me - visited & used the site to-day ...

THANKS FOR INPUT /INFO

18. redsolar

redsolar Guest

If you have some of the ActiveX badly installed, read this for the way to fix it. http://corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/help.htm#Corruptsitecontrols

It pertains to Windows 2000, and does not necessarily have all of the items in XP, but I know it works for sure.

Also make sure you don't run any web-proxy, like The Proxomitron or ZoneAlarm's ad-blocking proxy, etc. Oterwise say bye bye to windowsupdate :)

If you need to dl the files to install them manually later, use this link
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp?corporate=true ; although you will still need the activeX applet working for it.

19. VTSkier

VTSkier Guest

Windows Update

Every time I go to the update page

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I am told "ADMINISTRATORS ONLY" I am logged in as Administrator. I tried run as... administrator, I tried logging into another account with administrator rights. Still no luck.

I have access to all administrative tools in XP (Pro) except the right to update.

This is a new computer and I want to apply all the critical updates (15 or so?)

Does anybody know why this happens and what to do to cure it?

Thanks for any help.